First Madrid villa purchase complete — what the process taught me

OpenTrail

Homeowner
The cash buffer was tighter than I expected. I have now completed my first Madrid villa purchase, but the paperwork and lender timing made the last stage drag on. I would keep separate amounts for vacancy, early repairs and closing surprises rather than assuming the purchase balance is the final cash call.

The unsuccessful bids also helped me judge the market more realistically. My other lesson is to put a name and deadline beside every outstanding document during the final week. For those who have completed a first purchase, which costs or delays caught you off guard?
 
The final document week is where vague responsibilities become expensive delays. I would keep a simple list showing each outstanding item, who must provide it, and the date needed. Also avoid treating the closing balance as the full cash requirement; moving coordination, early repairs and unexpected fees can arrive together.
 
Is the villa intended as a rental, your own home, or both? That changes how much weight to put on vacancy versus moving costs. I would also be interested in whether any inspection findings affected your offer or simply became items for the repair reserve.
 
One caveat to the checklist approach: naming a person beside every task does not help if lender timing remains uncertain. The useful question is whether each dependency has actually been confirmed, not merely assigned. Before committing movers or contractors, I would separate fixed dates from provisional ones and keep the repair reserve apart from ordinary post-closing cash.
 
Back
Top