First coastal home purchase completed in Mexico City—lessons from the long closing

cyclesAndGarden

Homeowner
Established
I kept hearing two opposite approaches: hold extra cash for repairs, or put everything available toward getting the purchase closed. Buying my first coastal home in Mexico City taught me that the cash buffer matters, especially when lender costs become payable earlier than the buyer expects.

The closing dragged on because I did not always know which person was meant to produce the next document. A written checklist showing each item, its owner and its deadline would have prevented a lot of chasing. I also had earlier offers rejected; comparing their price, timing and terms helped, although I could not always tell which factor decided it.

For those who have completed a first purchase, what caught you between acceptance and closing? I am particularly interested in lender timing, repair reserves and any feedback that made a rejected offer genuinely informative.
 
Congratulations. When you say financing costs, was the problem that the amounts were unexpected, or that they became payable sooner than you had planned? I think many buyers budget carefully for the purchase itself but mentally treat the remaining cash as available for moving or repairs too early.
 
Rejected offers are only useful data if you can identify why they failed. Otherwise buyers can overcorrect—raising the next offer when the real issue may have been timing, terms, or something unrelated to price. Were you given meaningful feedback, or did you mainly learn by comparing which parts of your later offers changed?
 
That is a fair caveat. I would also separate offer lessons from closing lessons. Once accepted, did you have one person coordinating the document sequence, or did you have to keep asking each participant what was outstanding? The latter seems especially risky in the final week, when lender timing, signatures, moving plans, and available cash all converge.
 
The cash issue was specifically leaving enough room for financing costs rather than treating the accepted offer as the end of the budgeting exercise. On coordination, I had to pay closer attention to who owned each next step than I expected. If I repeated the process, I would keep a simple list of the outstanding item, the person responsible, and when it was expected.

And I agree with elias_silva: a rejection is not automatically useful. The value was in treating several offers as a pattern, not assuming every loss meant the price was wrong.
 
That list is probably the most transferable lesson here. I would add two columns: whether another task depends on that item, and whether a delay affects the lender or moving schedule. Buyers should also keep financing costs separate from any repair reserve until completion. Even without a major inspection problem, using the repair cushion to cover closing expenses can leave the first weeks of ownership unnecessarily tight.
 
Back
Top