thinkTheHarbor
First-time buyer
I used to think the hard part was getting an offer accepted; now I’d put just as much emphasis on controlling the period between acceptance and completion. My first coastal-home purchase is finally complete, following multiple attempts and a slower paperwork stage than I had planned for.
The unsuccessful bids were still useful because they clarified which features mattered and where I was willing to give ground. Once the successful bid was agreed, it also helped to identify the person responsible for each task rather than assume someone else was handling it.
The other lesson was to retain cash for building work, moving coordination and the cluster of costs that arrives around completion. For those who have bought before, which expense or handover task caught you least prepared?
The unsuccessful bids were still useful because they clarified which features mattered and where I was willing to give ground. Once the successful bid was agreed, it also helped to identify the person responsible for each task rather than assume someone else was handling it.
The other lesson was to retain cash for building work, moving coordination and the cluster of costs that arrives around completion. For those who have bought before, which expense or handover task caught you least prepared?