The seller eventually accepted, but I was still uneasy about how little visibility I had over the steps that followed. My first Cape Town duplex purchase is now complete, after several earlier offers went nowhere and the paperwork moved more slowly than I expected.
The main lesson was not to treat completion as the point when spare cash stops mattering. A reserve may need to cover inspection findings, initial repairs and fees that were not obvious during the search. I also wish I had kept a simple list of each document, who had it and when the next handoff was due.
The unsuccessful offers helped define what I would change and what would make me walk away. For those who have completed a first purchase, which expense or coordination problem altered the outcome most?
The main lesson was not to treat completion as the point when spare cash stops mattering. A reserve may need to cover inspection findings, initial repairs and fees that were not obvious during the search. I also wish I had kept a simple list of each document, who had it and when the next handoff was due.
The unsuccessful offers helped define what I would change and what would make me walk away. For those who have completed a first purchase, which expense or coordination problem altered the outcome most?