Finally closed on a new-build flat in Dubai

GreenSignal

Homeowner
Established
By the final document week, the deadline mattered more than preserving a perfectly comfortable cash balance. I completed on the new-build flat in Dubai, but the trade-off was keeping enough money available for completion costs and a repair reserve rather than treating the agreed price as the entire commitment.

The slowest part was not always producing a document. It was working out who had to receive it, what depended on it and whether the next person knew it was ready. I would now map those handoffs as soon as an offer is accepted, especially where lender timing overlaps with other approvals.

Several earlier offers were rejected, although I would not treat every rejection as equally informative. Price, terms and the reason it failed all matter. For those who have completed a first purchase, what happened during the last document week that you had not budgeted time or cash for?
 
The direct lesson is to manage completion as a chain of dependencies, not one big deadline. A document can be ready but still useless if the next person does not know it is waiting.

Was financing involved? If so, I’d be interested in whether lender timing overlapped with the document delays. Buyers often plan around the stated closing date but not around the gaps between separate approvals.
 
I partly disagree that rejected offers are automatically useful data. They only teach much if the properties were comparable or you learned why each offer failed. A seller choosing another buyer because of timing tells you something different from simply being outbid.

Did you record the terms as well as the prices? That could be more revealing than the rejection itself.
 
How did inspection fit into the final document week? With a new-build flat, I would want inspection findings divided into items that affect completion and items that can be dealt with afterward.

Moving coordination is another overlooked risk. Booking everything for completion day leaves no room for a document delay, access issue, or unfinished item.
 
The cash point is important, although I would separate property tax from other completion charges and later ownership costs. The terminology and treatment depend on the jurisdiction, and calling every extra amount “tax” can make a budget less clear.

A simple improvement would be three cash lines: completion obligations, moving costs, and a repair reserve that remains untouched.
 
When you say to ask who owns each next step, where did the ambiguity actually arise: between buyer and seller, or among the agent, lender and document handlers? No need to name anyone. I’m asking because “someone is handling it” is not the same as having one named person confirm the next action and deadline.
 
To make that practical, I’d keep a one-page completion list with five columns: item, person holding it, next recipient, due date and what depends on it. Add a separate list of money still due rather than mixing payments into the document list. It sounds fussy, but it makes the final week easier to read and gives you a precise question when progress stalls.
 
These replies have helped sharpen what I meant. Joanap is right that I used “property tax” too loosely; the useful lesson is to keep cash available for taxes and property-related charges without assuming they are all the same category.

Liam’s distinction is fair too. The rejected offers became useful only after I compared the full terms and my own limits, not merely the headline figures.

For the next transaction I’d use Omar’s list from the day an offer is accepted, plus a separate inspection list and a moving date with some breathing room. My main mistake was tracking whether something was “in progress” instead of recording who had it, what they were expected to do, and what could not happen until they did it.
 
Back
Top