Finally closed on a condo in Bogotá - finally!

field.full

Buyer
Established
The Bogotá condo purchase is now complete, and the final document week exposed the part I had not mapped properly: who held each task, when the lender needed to act and which costs could still appear before closing.

Several earlier offers failed, but keeping notes on them helped me refine the later ones. I would not assume every rejection meant the price was too low; the conditions and timing also mattered. The other lesson was to keep cash beyond the amount shown in the initial financing calculation, because fees and immediate ownership costs do not all arrive neatly together.

What did your first completed purchase reveal that the usual beginner checklists overlooked? I’m especially curious about unexpected charges and handoffs that caused delays near the end.
 
Congratulations! The lesson many guides underplay is that “cash needed to close” and “cash you should still have afterward” are different numbers. Moving costs, inspection findings and early repairs do not wait for your savings to recover. Was the document delay mainly connected to lender timing, or was it unclear who had the next task?
 
I’d qualify the point about rejected offers. They are useful data only when you know why they lost. Another buyer may have offered more, but they may also have had simpler conditions or a better timeline. Without that detail, increasing the next offer could be the wrong conclusion. I’d record the price, conditions and response separately rather than treating every rejection as a market signal.
 
Your point about ownership of each step is the practical one. For the final document week, keep one shared list showing the task, responsible person, deadline and anything it depends on. Confirm lender timing before arranging the move, and avoid non-refundable moving commitments until completion is certain. I’d also revisit every inspection finding and divide it into urgent work, later work and monitoring so unexpected fees do not consume the repair reserve.
 
Back
Top