Evaluating agent fees and service scope for an Atlanta villa

grain.sharp

Homeowner
The lowest fee looked attractive until I noticed how much of the service had been left out. With the Atlanta villa expected to sell for about $260,000, I now want each proposal compared on total cost and actual responsibility rather than the headline rate.

What would you ask agents to provide on recent sales, response times and how they qualify buyers? I also want a named contact for presenting offers and managing the file, plus a clear answer on what happens if an accepted offer falls through. For example, are backup buyers contacted and the marketing restarted within the original fee?

I will also ask for the fee calculation in dollars and how any connection between the firm and a prospective buyer would be disclosed. Is there anything else that should be pinned down in writing before choosing?
 
Ask each agent to show the total fee in dollars at a $260,000 sale price, then list every service included, excluded or charged separately. For photography, clarify who chooses the photographer, what is delivered and whether retakes cost extra. Also ask for the named contact at listing, offer and closing stages—not just the person making the presentation.
 
The missing piece is what happens when the first offer fails. Does the agent contact backup buyers, refresh the marketing and coordinate the next attempt within the quoted fee? “Closing coordination included” can sound comprehensive without explaining where that work starts and ends.

I’d also ask how quickly offers are presented and whether you receive every offer in a consistent format.
 
I wouldn’t put much weight on a raw fall-through rate. One difficult file could distort a small sample, and the causes may sit with buyers or financing rather than the listing agent. A better question is: give me an anonymized example of a deal that failed and explain what your team did next.
 
Also separate buyer qualification from certainty. An agent can describe what information they request and how they communicate concerns, but no screening process guarantees completion. Ask who performs that step, when it occurs, and what information is relayed to you before you decide between offers.
 
Response time needs a definition too. Is the promise about acknowledging your message, providing a substantive answer, or updating buyers’ agents? And does it apply evenings and weekends? I’d request one communication plan stating the usual channel, expected timing, backup contact and how often you receive updates when there is no new activity.
 
I agree on defining response time, but I would not over-engineer the comparison. Recent comparable sales still matter because you need to hear how each proposed price was reached. Ask each agent to use relevant nearby properties and explain adjustments rather than merely naming a target.

For conflicts, ask in plain terms whether the agent or related office could be involved on the buyer’s side, how that would be disclosed, and who would handle negotiations. The exact obligations can depend on the arrangement and jurisdiction, so get the answer in writing before signing.
 
A compact comparison sheet should expose most differences: total fee at $260,000; additional charges; photography deliverables; buyer-qualification steps; offer presentation process; named day-to-day contact; response expectations; support after a failed deal; closing tasks; and conflict handling.

Then ask all candidates the same two scenarios: “Two offers arrive close together—what happens?” and “The accepted offer falls through—what happens next and what costs restart?” Concrete answers will be more useful than broad promises of full service.
 
Back
Top