I can allow for ordinary annual upkeep, or hold back enough for an occasional major exterior or heating job. The first option feels too optimistic for a 5-bed villa; the second could remove much of the apparent return.
The Edinburgh property is priced at £183,300, with expected rent of £1,021 a month and a headline gross yield near 6.7% before buying costs. The building looks sound, but that does not rule out an expensive irregular repair. I have allowed for empty periods, management and routine work, with additional cash set aside for a larger item.
Which property-specific expense would you test most heavily, and what level of net cash flow would make that exposure worthwhile? I would also be interested in how sensitive the answer is to financing rather than an all-cash purchase.
The Edinburgh property is priced at £183,300, with expected rent of £1,021 a month and a headline gross yield near 6.7% before buying costs. The building looks sound, but that does not rule out an expensive irregular repair. I have allowed for empty periods, management and routine work, with additional cash set aside for a larger item.
Which property-specific expense would you test most heavily, and what level of net cash flow would make that exposure worthwhile? I would also be interested in how sensitive the answer is to financing rather than an all-cash purchase.