Early $850,000 duplex offer and possible dual representation in New York

SimpleWall

Real estate agent
Established
The listing agent says they can represent the buyer as well, and I’m hesitant to agree without knowing what that changes for us. We have an early offer of about $850,000 on our New York duplex, so speed is appealing, but not if it weakens confidential advice or the handling of negotiations.

If we consider the arrangement, I want the conflict disclosure, fee basis, limits on advice and safeguards for other offers set out in writing. If we decline it, I need to know who becomes our named contact and how the buyer will be represented. I also want the buyer’s qualification checked, clarity on whether photography and wider marketing continue, and a plan for relaunching if the offer falls through.
 
Treat convenience and representation as separate questions. Ask the agent to put in writing whom they owe duties to, what advice they cannot give either side, and what information stays confidential. Have a New York property attorney explain the disclosure before you consent; this is not a simple nationwide yes-or-no issue.
 
How complete is the offer? Price alone is not enough. Before changing the representation arrangement, I would want the buyer’s qualification, financing position, contingencies, proposed dates, and deposit terms presented in writing. Speed means little if the buyer has not been properly vetted.
 
I would not reject it automatically. A well-qualified buyer and straightforward terms could still make it worthwhile. But dual representation cannot provide two fully independent negotiators. The safeguard is informed consent plus outside advice, not pretending the conflict disappears.
 
Also request a written comparison of the seller’s net under this offer. Does the fee change if the listing side is involved with both parties, or remain exactly the same? Do not rely on a vague suggestion that the arrangement will save money.
 
Building on that, ask for examples of what the agent would do if you wanted to counter higher while the buyer wanted advice on staying firm. If the answer is merely “we stay neutral,” decide whether neutral facilitation is actually the service you expected when hiring a listing agent.
 
Offer handling matters too. Will the property remain available for showings, will every later offer be delivered promptly, and who records communications and deadlines? An early buyer should not quietly end the marketing process unless you knowingly agree to that.
 
Was the listing fully launched, including the agreed photography? If professional photos or other marketing were part of the scope, confirm whether they will still be completed while this offer is considered. Otherwise you may never learn how the wider market responds.
 
Ask what support continues if the deal falls through. Does marketing restart immediately, who follows up with earlier interest, and are there any additional charges? The attractive part is speed, so the fallback plan should not leave the duplex stalled.
 
One more operational point: get a named contact and response-time expectation for each side. If different people at the same firm are involved, find out who supervises them and how confidential information is separated. Different names alone do not resolve the underlying conflict.
 
I partly disagree with the emphasis on creating separation inside the firm. Depending on the actual agreement, the agent may be limited to facilitating rather than independently advocating for both parties. The key is understanding that reduced role and deciding whether you are comfortable obtaining negotiation advice elsewhere.
 
Exactly. The written disclosure should match the conduct. If the agent says they will remain neutral but also promises to negotiate the best possible result for both sides, ask them to reconcile those statements. That is where an independent New York attorney can be especially useful.
 
This is helping. I’m going to request one written proposal covering the fee basis, confidentiality limits, the agent’s permitted role, buyer qualification, marketing and photography, offer handling, response times, and fall-through support. I will not treat the $850,000 figure by itself as enough reason to consent.
 
Good approach. I would also insist on receiving the complete offer before discussing dual representation further. Otherwise the representation question can become a distraction from weaknesses in price, timing, contingencies, or other terms.
 
Set a decision deadline that gives your attorney time to review the paperwork without letting anyone manufacture urgency. If the conflict disclosure is unclear, the fee is unsettled, or the buyer remains insufficiently qualified, asking the buyer to obtain separate representation is a reasonable boundary.
 
My current position is that convenience is not enough. I’ll consider the arrangement only after the full offer and buyer qualification are provided, the fee and marketing obligations are explicit, and an independent attorney has reviewed the conflict disclosure. If the agent’s role still sounds ambiguous, I’ll ask for separate buyer representation.
 
Back
Top