Dublin studios: what is really behind a 14-day marketing period?

NimblePlan

First-time buyer
Established
I’ve been keeping November 2024 notes on a narrow group of Dublin studios rather than relying on the citywide average. Asking prices run from €132,500 to €198,700, and the current marketing period is roughly 14 days.

What keeps jumping out is the service charge. Two studios with similar headline prices can look quite different once that recurring cost is considered. Is this still ordinary building-by-building variation, or could it be an early shift in this part of the market? I’m trying to decide whether to keep watching or start arranging viewings.
 
I’d assume property-level variation first. Fourteen days of marketing tells you that listings move through the process quickly, but not whether they completed near asking price. Recent completed sales in the same buildings would be much more persuasive than the advertised figures.
 
Completed sales are better evidence, but I would not ignore the 14-day figure until its meaning is clear. Does it measure the period to sale agreed, the age of active adverts, or the time before a listing is removed?

The neighbourhood boundary matters too. If only a small number of studios fall within it, shifting the line by a few streets could change the picture. I’d check the individual listing histories and separate sales agreed from withdrawals before deciding whether the short period justifies arranging viewings.
 
There is also a financing question hiding behind the service charges. A lower asking price does not automatically make a studio equally accessible to every buyer, while a substantial recurring charge changes monthly affordability. I’d separate cash and financed demand if the listing information gives you any clues, though it may not.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss the 14 days entirely. Even without completed-sale figures, a consistently short marketing period can indicate that buyers are reacting quickly. The caveat is withdrawn stock: if several listings disappear without selling, the apparent pace could be misleading.
 
A useful next step would be a simple row for every studio: neighbourhood, building, asking price, service charge, condition, first-listed date, price-cut date and final status. Then split newly listed homes from older homes that have been reduced. That should show whether you are seeing a wider change or just a few sellers adjusting expectations.
 
Condition may explain more than the service charge alone. A studio needing work can look cheap but require immediate spending, while a better-presented one with a higher charge may still attract quicker interest. I’d compare like with like before interpreting the range from €132,500 to €198,700.
 
Seller motivation matters too. A price cut after a short period is different from one made after repeated failed attempts. If cuts are happening earlier while new-listing volume is rising, that would be more suggestive of changing expectations than one or two discounted studios.
 
One caution on treating the service charge as the main variable: the amount alone is incomplete. You need to know what it covers and whether the buildings are genuinely comparable. Otherwise you may be grouping unlike properties and calling the difference a market signal.
 
I’d keep watching, but arrange viewings for the strongest examples rather than waiting for a perfect trend. Viewings can clarify condition and what the charge covers, while your notes should track completed sales, withdrawals and price-cut timing. If those all begin pointing the same way within the same neighbourhood boundaries, you’ll have a firmer answer than the 14-day figure provides by itself.
 
Back
Top