Dublin mortgage quote: 3.09% fixed for 10 years — how should I compare it?

alba.wood

First-time buyer
Established
One approach is to rank the offer by APR, while another is to ignore that headline and total the costs during the fixed period. Both seem reasonable, but neither alone tells me whether the payments and restrictions suit the purchase.

The Dublin property is around €828,000, and the quote is 3.09% fixed for 10 years. The final pricing depends on fees and the loan-to-value band rather than just the promoted percentage. I want to compare monthly affordability, interest and unavoidable charges over the same 10-year period, with principal repayment shown separately.

I am also concerned about portability and early-repayment limits because my plans could change well before the fix ends. Which figures and clauses should I ask each lender to put in writing so the quotes can be compared on the same basis?
 
I’d compare interest plus all unavoidable fees over the 10-year fixed period, while showing principal repayments separately because they reduce the balance rather than represent a financing cost. APR is still useful as a quick filter, but it may rely on assumptions extending beyond the fixed term. Also compare the monthly payment, not just the headline percentage.
 
What loan amount and loan-to-value tier does the quote assume? On a purchase around €828,000, the deposit can materially affect which rate applies. I’d also ask whether the arrangement fee must be paid upfront or can be added to the mortgage, because adding it changes both the balance and the interest calculation.
 
I wouldn’t automatically limit the comparison to ten years. That works if you expect to keep this mortgage for the full fixed period, but moving or refinancing earlier could make the early-repayment and portability wording more important than a small rate difference. Is a move within ten years reasonably possible for you?
 
There’s another side to that: refinancing shouldn’t be treated as the easy default either. Rates and your circumstances at the end of the fixed period are unknown. A 10-year fix can buy predictability, so I’d test whether the payment is comfortable now and what the remaining balance would be when the rate resets, without assuming a better deal will be available.
 
For portability, check what actually happens rather than relying on the word alone. Ask whether moving the loan to another property would still require a fresh affordability assessment, whether the timing of sale and purchase matters, and what happens if you need a larger or smaller mortgage. For early repayment, request worked examples for a partial overpayment and a full redemption at different points in the fixed term.
 
Mila’s question about the loan amount is crucial. Two borrowers buying at €828,000 can receive very different comparisons if their deposits place them in different LTV tiers. I’d make a simple table using the same loan amount and term for every lender: upfront fees, monthly payment, interest over ten years, balance after ten years, and any known exit conditions.
 
Don’t let the spreadsheet obscure monthly affordability. Include insurance, maintenance and other ownership costs alongside the mortgage payment, then leave room for income changes or unexpected spending. The cheapest ten-year financing cost is not necessarily the safest choice if its monthly payment leaves no breathing space.
 
I’d ask each lender or broker for figures based on one identical scenario, then compare them line by line. Use APR as a sense check, ten-year interest plus fees as the main fixed-period comparison, and the remaining balance to expose different repayment assumptions. Keep portability and early-repayment terms as separate decision factors rather than trying to force everything into one percentage.
 
Back
Top