Dublin first-time buyer learning how to assess mixed-use property

NimblePlan

First-time buyer
Established
Hello from Dublin. I’m a first-time buyer trying to understand mixed-use buildings, transaction costs, and why advertised prices can differ from completed prices.

My practical decision is where to begin: listings, completed-sale data, or the legal and management issues that come with mixed-use property. I joined to compare markets rather than stay in an Ireland-only bubble, but I’d appreciate recommendations for the most useful local thread or dataset to read first.
 
To narrow that down, I’m especially unsure how to organise the research. Should I build a basic cost model first, then look at mortgage and legal questions, or identify suitable properties before doing the deeper work? A newcomer-friendly checklist would also help.
 
I’d start with completed prices, while treating them as context rather than exact comparisons. Then make a simple worksheet covering purchase price, transaction costs, renovation allowance and ongoing management costs.

For mixed-use buildings, clarify what you mean before going further: a residential unit within a building containing commercial space may raise different questions from buying an entire mixed-use building. Which are you considering?
 
I wouldn’t dismiss listings as merely aspirational. They show what is currently available and often reveal differences in layout, condition and use that completed-price records alone may not explain. The useful exercise is to pair each plausible listing with the closest completed comparisons you can find, while noting why they are not identical.
 
The local board’s first-purchase, mortgage and legal discussions are probably the best reading order. After that, look for threads on management arrangements and renovation, because mixed-use property can involve details that a broad price comparison misses.

Before making a model too elaborate, write down five items for any candidate: exact property type, asking price, comparable completed prices, expected works and recurring costs. Then take Ireland-specific lending and legal questions to the relevant professionals once an actual property is in view.
 
Back
Top