Dublin apartments: is lease length driving the price spread?

NimblePlan

First-time buyer
Established
I’m deciding whether to bid now or wait for clearer completed-sale evidence. My Dublin apartment search currently runs from €482,100 to €723,100. The snapshot I have shows 6.8% movement and roughly 42 days on market, although negotiated discounts seem to change sharply with condition.

My working theory is that remaining lease length explains more of the spread than headline demand, but I may be over-weighting it. Does that fit what others are seeing? Please name the Dublin neighbourhood and apartment type, and distinguish completed sales from asking-price changes if possible.
 
Lease length can matter, but I would not treat it as the main explanation until you compare similar apartments in the same development or very tight area. Condition, layout and whether buyers can finance the property may create the same apparent discount. Also, 42 days can conceal homes that were withdrawn and relisted. I’d compare purpose-built two-beds within one neighbourhood rather than across Dublin.
 
What exactly does the 6.8% describe: asking-price growth, agreed prices, or completed sales? That changes the conclusion considerably.

For Rathmines two-bedroom apartments, I’d also separate converted houses from purpose-built blocks. Even within the same neighbourhood name, those are not close substitutes. Do you have the remaining lease terms and condition notes for both ends of your €482,100–€723,100 range?
 
A caveat to my own question: seller motivation may be doing more work than lease length around the 42-day point. A vacant or already-reduced apartment can attract negotiation even with an acceptable lease, while a seller under no pressure may simply withdraw it. Price-cut timing and withdrawn stock would help test that.
 
I’d build a small comparison table before deciding. Record neighbourhood boundary, apartment type, initial asking price, each reduction date, current status, condition, lease length and whether financing appears relevant. Then add the nearest genuinely comparable completed sales you can find. That should reveal whether the discount follows lease length or merely coincides with properties needing work.
 
I wouldn’t wait solely because the overall figure is 6.8%. Your range is wide enough that different submarkets and property types could be mixed together. Shortlist three or four apartments you would actually buy, ask for clarification on lease and condition, and compare their seller behaviour after 42 days. If the same pattern survives within that narrow group, the lease theory becomes much more persuasive.
 
Back
Top