Dubai’s December 2024 inventory shift: seasonality or buyer selectivity?

daily_porch

Property investor
Established
If I mistake a December fluctuation for a change in buyer behaviour, the comparison will be misleading from the start. In my Dubai sample for December 2024, well-presented retail units took about 87 days to move, while residential properties requiring work appeared slower. I am also seeing a gap near 1.9%, but I cannot tell whether it matches the same properties from final asking price through completion.

The mix of retail and residential may itself be the problem. Would you test selectivity within individual neighbourhoods and property types, or compare the months around December first to remove seasonal effects? Completed transactions and direct local observations would be especially helpful because listing prices are much easier to trace than actual outcomes.
 
I would not read much into 1.9% until the matching method is clear. Is that the difference between the final asking price and sale price for the same property, or between area-level asking and completed-price averages? Those answer different questions. Also, how many retail units produced the 87-day figure?
 
There is another mismatch here: retail units and homes needing work attract different buyers, so their marketing periods do not by themselves show a marketwide shift. I’d split the sample by neighbourhood, property type, condition and price band. Withdrawn or relisted properties also need separate treatment, otherwise time on market can look shorter than it really was.
 
Fair points. The 1.9% is from trying to match visible asking prices with completed outcomes, not a clean citywide average, and I have not established a sample size strong enough to call it a trend. The 87 days should therefore be treated as an observation rather than a Dubai benchmark.

I’ll separate retail from residential and track original ask, latest ask, completion price and dates. Neighbourhood is probably the missing layer.
 
I’d go further and record when each completed figure first appeared and whether it was later revised. A December listing matched against data published later can create a timing distortion. Transaction volume matters too: a 1.9% gap during a thin period may tell you less than the same gap across many comparable completions.
 
I’m not convinced seasonality should be the default explanation. Condition can become more important when buyers have more alternatives, even if headline prices barely change. The useful test is whether renovated and unrenovated homes within the same neighbourhood diverged in both selling time and discount—not whether retail moved faster than residential.
 
What changed my view was the point about relistings: a property can appear to have a short marketing period simply because its earlier history vanished. I still would not choose seasonality as the explanation until that distortion is removed.

For two or three neighbourhoods, I would record property type, condition, original and final ask, completed price, listing duration, completion month and any withdrawal or relisting. Compare December 2024 with the surrounding months. If the condition gap persists within the same areas, buyer selectivity becomes more plausible; if it fades outside December, seasonality deserves more weight.
 
Back
Top