Dubai serviced apartment: what should be on my closing-cost checklist?

DirectCanvas

First-time buyer
I’m considering a serviced apartment in Dubai priced around AED 1,707,000 and want a realistic total-cost figure before committing. I have transfer tax/charges, registration and legal or notary costs on the list, but I’m less clear about ownership restrictions, operator-related charges and annual property costs.

I also need to understand capital-gains treatment, residency implications and inheritance planning because this is outside my home country. What commonly sits outside the first estimate, and what should I ask a licensed UAE professional to confirm in writing?
 
Ask for two itemised schedules: everything due before or at transfer, and everything payable after completion. The second list is where recurring service, management, maintenance and operator charges can get blurred together. Also ask who receives each payment, whether it is fixed or variable, and whether any annual amount is apportioned between buyer and seller at completion.
 
With a serviced apartment, I would spend at least as much time on the management or operator agreement as on the transfer paperwork. Find out whether participation is compulsory, what can be deducted from rental income, who pays for furniture replacement and repairs, and whether there are restrictions on personal use or resale. A low-looking annual property charge may not represent the full operating cost.
 
Good point from Omar. Felix, do you know what legal interest is actually being sold and whether this particular unit is eligible for your proposed ownership structure? Also, is AED 1,707,000 the property price alone, or does the seller’s estimate already include any furniture package or operator-related amount? Without that breakdown, comparisons between fee quotes may be misleading.
 
I would not assume every possible complexity applies just because it is a serviced apartment. Start with the exact unit documents and obtain a written completion statement rather than building a huge generic contingency list. Then reconcile the sale price, transfer and registration amounts, adviser costs, seller or developer clearance requirements, and any prorated annual charges. Unexplained labels should be challenged before money is sent.
 
The UAE-side closing figure is only half the tax exercise. Your home country may classify rental income, future gains, foreign assets or ownership through an entity differently. Ask advisers in both jurisdictions how the same ownership structure is treated, and whether currency conversion or reporting dates matter. I would also keep the property purchase separate from residency planning unless a qualified local adviser confirms the connection.
 
Inheritance is worth addressing before choosing between personal and other permitted forms of ownership, not after completion. Ask what happens to the Dubai property on death, which succession rules may apply to you, and what locally effective estate planning is available. Any structure suggested for inheritance should then be checked against your home-country tax and reporting position; solving one jurisdiction can create a problem in the other.
 
I’d turn the questions here into conditions before committing: confirm ownership eligibility for the exact unit, obtain the operator agreement and full recurring-cost schedule, request an itemised completion estimate, and have both UAE and home-country advisers assess tax and succession. Also ask which amounts are estimates and which are contractually fixed. That distinction matters more than a single headline percentage.
 
Back
Top