Dubai rental: keep it with 8% management or sell before moving?

followTheKey

Property investor
Selling would remove the headache of managing from abroad, but I hesitate to make that decision solely because local managers are quoting about 8% of rent. Their letting and maintenance-coordination charges would also leave very little of the current surplus on this three-bedroom property.

I am trying to work out whether professional management offers a sensible middle ground. What would you put into a realistic annual cash-flow estimate for vacancy, tenant changes, repairs and insurance, and how large a maintenance reserve would you hold? I also need to see whether the property still works if financing becomes more expensive. If the conservative numbers are negative, I would lean toward selling; if they are modestly positive, remote ownership may still be manageable.
 
I would not decide from the 8% alone. Build a 12-month estimate using rent actually received, then subtract management, letting costs, a vacancy allowance, insurance, financing, and a maintenance reserve. If it only breaks even before vacancy and repairs, it is not genuinely cash-flow neutral. Management can still be worthwhile, but only if the reason for holding is stronger than the monthly income.
 
How close is “almost nothing”? A small surplus with conservative reserves is very different from a small surplus that assumes uninterrupted occupancy and no repairs. Also, does the quote charge a new letting fee at every tenant change, and is the mortgage rate fixed or capable of moving? Tenant turnover and financing sensitivity could matter more than the headline 8%.
 
I partly disagree with treating a thin surplus as an automatic sell signal. You are paying the manager precisely because distance removes your ability to react. The relevant comparison is managed ownership versus selling, not managed ownership versus doing everything yourself while local.

That said, I would not rely on hoped-for appreciation to rescue weak numbers. If one vacancy or ordinary repair puts the year materially negative, the holding case needs another clear justification.
 
Ask each manager to separate unavoidable property costs from charges created by their service. Maintenance itself would exist either way; coordination markups, call-out handling and letting fees are the comparison points. Get clarity on what the 8% includes, how repairs are approved, whether spending limits can be set, and what happens between tenants. Two quotes with the same percentage can produce very different net results.
 
There is also a middle route: pay for tenant placement and retain reliable local maintenance contacts rather than buying full management. But it only works if someone can handle access, urgent decisions and tenant communication when you are unavailable. Since slow response is your stated concern, that arrangement may save fees while recreating the original problem.

I would compare three annual scenarios—full management, limited support and sale—then stress the first two for vacancy, turnover and a meaningful repair.
 
Before choosing, check that the remote-owner setup matches your insurance terms and any financing obligations; those details depend on the policy, lender and jurisdiction, so assumptions are risky. I would also request a sample owner statement from each manager showing every category of fee, without needing figures from another client. If the conservative managed case remains near zero, compare the likely net sale proceeds with what that capital could do elsewhere—and how much value you place on removing the administrative burden.
 
Back
Top