Dubai purchase: which legal and tax costs are easiest to miss?

alba_dean

Homeowner
I am building a closing-cost checklist for a detached home in Dubai priced around AED 5,175,000. Transfer tax, registration and legal or notary fees are the obvious lines, but the total seems to depend heavily on how the property is held, any ownership restrictions and the annual property charges.

I also want to ask about capital-gains treatment, residency rules and inheritance planning before choosing an ownership structure. For anyone who has completed a UAE transaction, which cost or obligation appeared after the first estimate? I am looking for useful questions to take to a licensed local professional, not personal legal or tax advice.
 
Ask for two separate itemised figures: cash needed to complete and costs that continue after completion. Annual charges can disappear from a headline closing estimate even though they affect affordability. I would also ask who calculates each fee, when it becomes payable, whether it changes with the ownership structure, and whether the AED 5,175,000 price is the only value used in that calculation.
 
I would be cautious about treating this as one UAE-wide checklist when the property is specifically in Dubai. Residency, inheritance and capital-gains treatment may also depend on the buyer’s circumstances outside the UAE, not merely the home or holding structure.

Before paying for any structure, give the local adviser a short fact sheet covering nationality, residence, intended use, proposed owner and succession wishes. Then request a written comparison of the available routes showing purchase costs, annual charges, sale consequences and inheritance implications.
 
Back
Top