Doha listings: the headline and the street-level picture - am I overthinking this?

compass.fresh

Homeowner
Established
Negotiating hard now risks relying on a noisy sample, but waiting could mean losing one of the better-priced Doha properties. Neither option feels comfortable while I cannot tell what the disappearing adverts actually represent.

My notes cover mainly serviced apartments asking between QAR 1,005,000 and QAR 1,507,000, with listings typically visible for about 41 days. Some vanish quickly and others remain much longer. Insurance may contribute, although the explanations from agents have not been consistent and seasonal activity could also affect the pattern.

I would like to compare the sample with recent completed sales rather than infer outcomes from adverts. It would also help to verify withdrawal status, buyer-financing issues, new supply and the timing of reductions—for example, whether a quick disappearance followed an early price cut rather than strong demand at the original ask.
 
I would not put insurance first without evidence. Forty-one days can combine genuinely stale units with duplicate, withdrawn or refreshed adverts. Are all the apartments in the same neighbourhood, and are they comparable in condition and service arrangements? A boundary change of only a few streets can make the sample look more coherent than it really is.
 
The missing piece is completed-sale information. Asking prices and disappearance dates cannot tell you whether a unit sold near asking, was withdrawn, or simply moved to another agent.

I’d track each address or unit separately, note price changes, and distinguish furnished condition where possible. Seller motivation and buyer financing could explain the quick-versus-slow split more convincingly than one common factor such as insurance.
 
That is fair. I have been treating “no longer visible” too much like a sale, and I have not separated withdrawals from completed transactions. I also grouped the serviced apartments by price rather than drawing tighter neighbourhood boundaries.

I’ll recut the notes by location and condition, then mark the first price reduction rather than relying only on the 41-day figure. The insurance idea should probably remain a question, not my working explanation.
 
That should make the comparison much cleaner. I’d use three groups: unchanged and still advertised, reduced, and disappeared with outcome unknown. Keep relisted units attached to their original first-seen date if you can identify them.

Within the QAR 1,005,000–QAR 1,507,000 range, also compare the timing of cuts rather than just their size. An early reduction may indicate a different seller objective from a unit left untouched for weeks.
 
One further caveat: even after narrowing the neighbourhood, “serviced apartment” may still hide meaningful differences in condition and ongoing arrangements. I would avoid drawing a Doha-wide conclusion from this sample. Use it to identify specific units where the seller appears motivated, then ask for evidence of recent comparable completions before deciding how aggressively to negotiate.
 
Back
Top