Does “as-is” still leave room to walk after due diligence?

BrightStone

First-time buyer
Established
We offered €1,256,000 for a detached home, accepting it in its present condition, but the offer also contains an inspection contingency. Due diligence has now raised a major lease-length problem. The seller says that asking for more information or a credit goes against the spirit of our as-is offer.

I know the exact wording and local jurisdiction matter. In practical terms, how would you separate agreeing an as-is price from retaining the right to walk away? We need to decide whether to proceed, seek a reduction, or withdraw before the response deadline. If you faced the opposite choice at roughly this price, what tipped it?
 
An as-is offer can mean you are not expecting routine repairs, while the contingency still gives you whatever protection its wording actually provides. The seller can refuse a credit, but that is separate from whether you may terminate in time. Because deposit exposure could be substantial, have a local conveyancer or lawyer interpret whether a lease-length issue falls within this particular contingency before the deadline passes.
 
I would not describe the lease problem as a repair-credit issue at all. It affects the interest being purchased, not the condition of a boiler or roof. Are the completed comparables also detached homes with similar lease terms? Also, has the lender confirmed financing remains available, or could this create both a lending problem and an appraisal gap?
 
One caveat to Oscar’s answer: do not assume an inspection contingency covers title or lease matters. It might be limited to the building’s physical condition; only the contract and local rules will settle that.

Before the response deadline, put the information request and proposed resolution in writing, without arguing about the seller’s “spirit” point. Establish the lease facts, compare like-for-like completed sales, and ask how financing and the deposit are affected. If the seller is motivated, a price adjustment may still happen. If not, the decision is whether the unresolved lease risk is acceptable at €1,256,000—not whether the home needs ordinary repairs.
 
Back
Top