Does an “as-is” offer still preserve the inspection contingency?

bikesAndEcho

Homeowner
Established
Our offer for a coastal home says it is accepted in its present condition, but the contract also contains an inspection contingency. A major building-reserves problem has now come up, and the seller treats any request for information or a credit as violating the spirit of our offer.

I understand the exact wording and local jurisdiction control. Practically, should “as-is” mean inspection is strictly a take-it-or-walk-away decision, or can a buyer still ask questions or request a credit without surrendering the right to withdraw? We also have a response deadline to manage and do not want to expose the deposit by handling this incorrectly.
 
I would separate three things: the seller’s refusal to make concessions, your ability to investigate, and your contractual right to withdraw. “As-is” may support the first without automatically cancelling the other two.

The seller can reject a credit request, but whether merely asking affects your contingency depends on its wording. Check the deadline, required notice method, permitted reasons for withdrawal, and what happens to the deposit.
 
Also, what does the contingency actually let you do after inspection: terminate, renegotiate, or both? Those are materially different. I would ask for the reserves information in writing and avoid framing the first communication as a repair demand. You need enough information to make the decision the contingency was meant to protect.
 
I partly agree, but the seller’s reaction is not irrational. An as-is offer can be understood commercially as “this price already reflects condition,” especially if it was used to make the offer more attractive. A later credit request may contradict that signal even if it is not a contractual breach.

For me, inspection protection in that situation is mainly a go/no-go option. Compare the price with completed comparables carrying similar reserve risk before deciding that a credit is justified.
 
That is fair regarding the credit, but I would not put a request for information in the same category. A buyer cannot make an informed go/no-go choice while the seller objects to basic questions about the newly identified issue.

The practical compromise is: request the relevant information, say the as-is price remains unchanged for now, and reserve all rights under the contingency. Then decide whether the risk is acceptable before the deadline.
 
Financing adds another layer. Even if the buyer accepts the condition, the reserve problem or an appraisal gap could affect whether the transaction remains workable. Confirm with the lender what information it needs and keep financing proof current, but do not assume financing protection substitutes for the inspection contingency.

I would map three outcomes now: proceed at the agreed price, seek a credit that the seller may refuse, or withdraw using the required procedure.
 
Seller motivation matters too. A seller prioritising certainty may prefer a clean withdrawal over days of open-ended negotiation, while another may discuss a limited credit to avoid returning to market. Ask for a prompt written answer, but do not let the contingency deadline pass while waiting. If an extension is needed, it should be agreed rather than assumed.
 
That distinction helps. We are not trying to turn the inspection into a list of minor repairs; the concern is whether the reserve issue changes the overall risk enough that we should walk away. I’ll keep the information request separate from any credit proposal and have the contingency wording checked before sending notice. If the seller simply says no credit, we can still make the as-is decision on its merits.
 
One final caution: do not rely on phrases such as “reserve all rights” unless they satisfy the contract’s actual notice requirements in the local jurisdiction. A discussion with the seller may not count as exercising a contingency, and an ambiguous or late withdrawal could create deposit exposure.

Have a local property lawyer or conveyancing professional read the signed wording, including deadlines and any appraisal or financing provisions. Commercially, use completed comparables and the likely appraisal gap to decide whether proceeding without a credit still makes sense.
 
Back
Top