Does an “as-is” offer still allow an inspection decision near Singapore

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
A new wrinkle has come up with our offer on a Singapore duplex: the seller says that raising questions after inspection is inconsistent with our as-is price. The offer still has an inspection clause, which is why I am unsure where the boundary lies.

We are not expecting routine defects to be repaired. The concern is a major energy-performance issue—for example, a finding that would make running costs materially different from what we assumed. In that situation we would want either enough information to proceed confidently or the ability to withdraw under the clause.

Is the sensible sequence to document the issue, ask whether the seller will discuss it, and then make a separate proceed-or-withdraw decision before the deadline? I am particularly concerned about sending the wrong kind of notice and exposing the deposit.
 
They can be separate: “as-is” can mean the seller is not promising repairs, while the contingency can still provide whatever inspection decision the written offer specifies. The seller may simply refuse a credit, though. The important distinction is between asking questions, attempting to renegotiate, and exercising a stated right to withdraw. Watch the notice method and deadline closely.
 
What does the contingency actually allow after an unsatisfactory inspection: termination, renegotiation, or both? Also, is the energy concern supported by an inspection finding or only suspected from running costs? Those details affect both your leverage and any deposit exposure. I would also separate this from financing and appraisal conditions unless the offer explicitly connects them.
 
The deadline and the exact remedy in the clause come first. If it only permits termination, the duplex being sold as-is may leave the seller free to reject any request for money while the buyer retains a narrower choice: complete or withdraw.

That does not prevent a focused question. I would obtain the energy finding, confirm the notice requirements, and ask whether the seller is open to a limited credit without presenting it as an entitlement. If the answer is no, there should still be time to decide whether the documented problem justifies leaving, assuming the clause actually provides that option.
 
Seller motivation matters too. A seller with another credible buyer may reject any credit immediately, while one facing a slower sale might reconsider if the problem is documented. Keep the request narrow and attach the relevant finding rather than reopening the whole bargain. Financing proof can help show that the issue is the building condition, not uncertainty about your ability to complete.
 
That distinction helps. I’m not assuming we can force a credit; the priority is preserving the inspection decision without accidentally missing a deadline or putting the deposit at risk. We’ll have the exact clause checked before sending anything. I also plan to compare completed sales again so we can decide whether the existing price already absorbs the energy issue.
 
When comparing those sales, try to match condition as well as size and location. A renovated duplex is not useful evidence for the credit amount unless you account for the difference. Before the response deadline, I’d make three numbers: the price you accept as-is, the maximum justified credit request, and the point where you walk. That prevents the negotiation from drifting.
 
One more caveat: don’t let the inspection dispute hide a possible appraisal gap. Even if you accept the energy problem, the lender’s valuation may not support the agreed price, and that can be a separate risk depending on your financing wording. Get clarity on the inspection clause, deposit consequences and financing position before choosing between a focused credit request and a clean withdrawal.
 
Back
Top