Does an “as-is” offer still allow an inspection decision - first time doing this

travelsAndGrove

Property investor
Established
We offered on a New York country home at an as-is price. The offer says we accept its present condition, but it also includes an inspection contingency. The inspection has now raised a major local supply problem that could materially change our costs.

The seller says even asking for more information or a credit violates the spirit of the offer. We need to decide whether to proceed, seek a price adjustment, or use the contingency and walk away. How should we separate what the contract legally permits in the United States/New York from our personal tolerance for the risk? I am also concerned about the response deadline and possible deposit exposure.
 
Those provisions can serve different purposes. “As-is” generally signals that the seller is not promising repairs, while an inspection contingency may still give the buyer a defined way to cancel after an unacceptable finding. Whether yours does depends on its exact wording and deadlines.

A credit request is negotiation, not necessarily a right. Cancellation may be a contractual right if exercised correctly. Have the attorney handling the New York transaction read the signed language before the deadline, especially the notice procedure and what happens to the deposit.
 
What does the contingency actually allow: cancellation only, or cancellation plus an opportunity to request repairs or credits? Also, is the supply concern documented in the inspection report, and has the seller provided the requested information?

I would compare completed sales of similar country homes with the same limitation, if any exist. Ordinary comparables may not capture it. Financing proof and appraisal risk matter too, because a lender or appraiser may view the issue differently from either party.
 
I would not lead with a credit until the information is complete. First send a short written request identifying the finding and asking for whatever existing details are needed to evaluate it. At the same time, preserve the inspection deadline rather than assuming discussions extend it.

The seller may be motivated to hold the as-is price, particularly if there are alternatives, but that does not answer whether the buyer should accept an open-ended cost. Legal permission to continue or cancel is separate from personal risk tolerance.
 
I partly disagree with treating a credit request as contrary to an as-is deal. An as-is offer is based on what the buyer could reasonably assess when making it. A newly discovered major issue can change the value calculation, and the seller can simply reject a revised proposal.

The important distinction is that asking for a credit does not automatically preserve the right to cancel. Nor does an appraisal necessarily solve this: if value comes in low, any appraisal gap language and financing contingency will control separately.
 
That distinction is the practical answer. Before the response deadline, I would make a one-page decision list: estimated exposure if the problem remains unresolved, price supported by completed comparables, available cash if financing or appraisal becomes difficult, and the maximum risk you will accept.

Then have the contract language checked and choose one clean route: proceed as written, propose a specific credit while keeping any valid contingency deadline intact, or cancel exactly as the contingency requires. Do not let an informal argument about the offer’s “spirit” replace the signed terms.
 
Back
Top