RealThread
Homeowner
The seller says our request for further information—or any repair credit—goes against the as-is deal, and I am hesitant to test that position without knowing exactly what our inspection clause preserves. We priced the Boston villa on the basis that the seller would not carry out work, but retained an inspection contingency.
Can that contingency still give us the choice to withdraw if the inspection reveals a major defect, even if asking for money would reopen the bargain? I am also concerned about an unexpected transaction cost, the deadline for giving notice and the point at which our deposit becomes exposed.
The contract wording and applicable local rules will decide this, so which provisions should we have checked first: cancellation rights, notice requirements, permitted credit requests or deposit terms? We are also considering whether to pause until there are stronger completed comparables instead of relying on advertised prices.
Can that contingency still give us the choice to withdraw if the inspection reveals a major defect, even if asking for money would reopen the bargain? I am also concerned about an unexpected transaction cost, the deadline for giving notice and the point at which our deposit becomes exposed.
The contract wording and applicable local rules will decide this, so which provisions should we have checked first: cancellation rights, notice requirements, permitted credit requests or deposit terms? We are also considering whether to pause until there are stronger completed comparables instead of relying on advertised prices.