Does 42 days on market give Madrid townhouse buyers leverage?

grain.brisk

Seller
Established
The surprising part of my Madrid search is that an average of about 42 days has not produced a consistently slow market. Among townhouses advertised from roughly €518,900 to €778,300, some appear to linger while others still attract interest, and the amount of nearby supply seems important.

I am trying to work out whether that pattern gives a buyer real leverage or merely reflects relisted stock, property condition and loosely drawn neighbourhoods. If new-listing volume is rising and comparable transactions finished below their earlier advertised levels, I would negotiate more firmly. If the apparent age comes mainly from relistings or unusually compromised homes, I would not read as much into it. Examples that include the area, condition, price-cut dates and eventual result would be helpful, especially where seller motivation was apparent.
 
Forty-two days alone would not convince me that sellers are accepting lower offers. Some listings may be testing the market, while others could be under negotiation or eventually withdrawn. I’d first separate genuine new listings from relisted or stale stock, then compare completed sales within tightly drawn neighbourhood boundaries.
 
Using very tight neighbourhood boundaries risks overlooking condition, while widening the area too far makes the comparisons weak. Neither option is especially comfortable with townhouses because renovation needs can outweigh a short change in location.

I would group broadly similar streets first, then split the properties into those needing substantial work and those ready to occupy. A 42-day listing would only suggest leverage to me if comparable homes in the same condition were also sitting or reducing. Is your count taken from the original advert, or did it restart after a relisting or price cut?
 
Seller motivation and buyer financing are the missing pieces too. A long listing period does not automatically create leverage if the seller can wait, while a financed buyer may have less flexibility on timing or valuation. I’d track each comparable from original ask through cuts, withdrawal or completion, and note condition separately. Without the completed price, public asking history shows strategy rather than the actual negotiation.
 
Back
Top