Does 103 days on market mean more negotiating room in Barcelona?

Opening below asking could waste time with sellers who are in no hurry; offering close to the advertised figure could overpay for stock that has already sat for 103 days. Neither approach feels sensible without knowing what produced the delay.

I am looking at small multifamily properties in Barcelona around €125,100 to €187,700. Financing costs seem to be removing some buyers, but individual condition, withdrawal and relisting could also make the marketing period misleading. I am therefore considering a staged approach: compare similar completed sales first, then make a lower offer only where an older listing has had an early reduction, weak buyer interest and credible new competition.

Is there a reliable way to reconstruct reduction dates and withdrawn periods, rather than treating the current advert as the complete history?
 
I wouldn’t treat 103 days by itself as proof of negotiating room. A property can sit because of condition, unrealistic pricing or a narrow buyer pool, while the seller remains in no hurry. Check whether those days are continuous or include withdrawal and relisting. Are your examples concentrated in one neighbourhood and broadly similar in condition?
 
There is still a practical signal in 103 days, even if it isn’t decisive. I’d focus on when the first price cut happened. A seller who reduced recently may want to test the new level, whereas one who cut months ago and still has no buyer may listen more closely. New-listing volume matters too: buyers gain leverage if credible alternatives keep appearing.
 
That’s the weakness in my comparison: it crosses neighbourhood boundaries and mixes renovated properties with ones needing work. I also haven’t separated genuinely continuous listings from withdrawn stock that later returned. I’ll narrow it to comparable condition and location before treating 103 days as meaningful. My intended purchase would involve financing, so the monthly cost and valuation outcome limit how far I can stretch.
 
Then build a small property-by-property table rather than averaging everything together: first asking price, each reduction date, any gap in marketing, current price, condition and precise neighbourhood. For completed deals, record the final price only where you can verify it rather than guessing from a disappeared advert. Even without many completions, repeated cuts plus a relisting gap can reveal more than the headline days-on-market figure.
 
I’d be careful not to assume a withdrawn listing became a low completed sale. It might have sold, failed financing, changed agents or simply been taken off the market. Seller motivation is also missing here. Two otherwise comparable properties can produce very different negotiations if one owner has a deadline and the other is content to wait.
 
For an actual offer, ask the agent about prior offers, the reason for selling, how long the current mandate has run and whether financing caused any earlier deal to fail. Answers may be incomplete, but they help frame the risk. Make the offer supportable with nearby condition-adjusted comparisons and your financing limit, rather than applying one automatic discount to every property that reaches 103 days.
 
Back
Top