Do vacant Denver condos give buyers more negotiating room?

FarVale

Homeowner
A first pass at the Denver condo listings has created a vacancy question rather than answered the price one. In the $140,000 to $210,000 range, the small sample showed marketing time around 70 days and movement of roughly -0.7%, but differences in condition make both figures fragile.

An empty unit may give a buyer room to negotiate if the seller is carrying it, yet it can also be easier to show and occupy. Before drawing conclusions, should I separate neighbourhood boundaries and track new-listing volume, earlier reductions and withdrawals? I’m trying to distinguish genuine seller pressure from properties that are simply difficult to finance or need work.
 
Vacancy by itself does not establish motivation. An empty condo could be an urgent sale, but it could just as easily be ready for immediate occupation. I would look for the combination of vacancy, earlier price cuts and extended marketing time.

How are you identifying vacant units? Also compare completed sales with withdrawn stock; active listings alone will hide owners who tested the market and declined lower offers.
 
I partly disagree that longer marketing time plus vacancy automatically strengthens the buyer’s hand. If the unit is clean, financeable and priced against recent completed sales, being empty may actually make it easier to show and sell.

The useful next step is to separate the sample by neighbourhood boundary and condition, then note new-listing volume, cut timing and withdrawals. Otherwise a few difficult properties could be driving both the 70-day figure and the apparent -0.7% movement.
 
Back
Top