Denver small multifamily: does +0.9% movement hide a condition gap?

FieldSlate

Homeowner
Either I treat the +0.9% movement as evidence of a firm Denver market, or I dismiss it because condition varies so much; neither reading feels reliable. My small-multifamily sample runs from $852,000 to $1,278,000, with median marketing time around 43 days. Renovated stock appears to move faster, while buildings needing work linger or reduce their prices.

I am now trying to determine whether buyers obtain a discount for underfunded near-term work or simply reject buildings where the scope is unclear. Would you separate completed, active and withdrawn properties within tighter neighbourhood boundaries before judging that pattern? I also wonder whether new-listing volume and seller motivation are distorting the price movement more than reserves themselves.
 
Buyers are more likely to negotiate the expected cost and timing of work than a vaguely defined reserve figure. If the roof, systems, or common areas need attention soon, that can become a price or credit discussion. If the scope is unclear, walking away is easier. Separate renovated, serviceable, and obvious-project properties before interpreting that 43-day median.
 
What neighbourhood boundaries did you use, and are the properties genuinely comparable in unit count and condition? Denver-wide figures can blend very different buyer pools. I’d also compare recent completed sales with withdrawn listings. If rough buildings disappear rather than close after a cut, the active sample will make demand look stronger than it is.
 
Condition may be only part of the pattern. The missing fact for me is whether the slower buildings had financing complications or merely sellers willing to wait at ambitious prices.

A renovated property can be easier to assess because its near-term costs are clearer; deferred roof work, for example, may create uncertainty for both the buyer and lender. I would add initial price, reduction dates, financing issues and seller timing to the same neighbourhood-level comparison. That should show whether 43 days reflects physical condition, negotiating strategy or a mixture of both.
 
The +0.9% figure may not say much unless new-listing volume stayed reasonably stable. A few polished additions can lift the snapshot even while older stock is being reduced or withdrawn.

For reserves, I’d estimate the next several significant projects individually rather than apply one percentage across every building. Then compare that amount with the gap between renovated and unrenovated completed sales. It gives you something concrete to negotiate around.
 
A practical next pass would be three lists: completed sales, active listings, and withdrawn stock, all within the same neighbourhood boundaries and property profile. Record initial price, first-cut timing, current or closing price, condition, visible near-term work, and financing complications. That should reveal whether buyers are demanding compensation for weak reserves or simply rejecting properties where the work cannot be priced confidently.
 
Back
Top