Denver 5-bed at $1.09m and $7,402 rent: what am I missing?

zane_reads

Market analyst
Market Reporter
I can see the case for using the 8.1% gross yield as a quick screen, but I am not comfortable either accepting it at face value or rejecting the property before modelling the operating costs. The Denver detached home is listed at $1,090,000, has five bedrooms and is expected to rent for $7,402 a month, or $88,824 a year.

The building looks sound, although that does not tell me what to allow for insurance, property tax, management, vacancies, routine work and major repairs. One empty month alone would remove $7,402 before turnover work or reletting costs. Which of those Denver expenses most often makes the initial estimate unrealistic?

I am planning to assess the property on an all-cash basis first, then test how sensitive the return is to financing. I would also like to know what net yield others would require and whether the rent assumption is more credible for a single household or multiple occupants.
 
Insurance and property tax deserve actual quotes rather than percentage assumptions. Either can make a plausible gross yield look much less attractive once combined with management and repairs. I’d also separate the property return from the financing return. Are you evaluating this as an all-cash purchase first, or does your required net yield already assume a particular loan?
 
I’d focus on tenant turnover. At $7,402, one vacant month removes that amount before cleaning, repairs or leasing costs. Annual rent would fall from $88,824 to $81,422, roughly a 7.5% yield before any other expense.

Is the rent expectation for one whole-house lease or several occupants? The management burden and turnover pattern could be quite different, so that missing detail matters.
 
Good points. I haven’t settled the financing structure, so I’ll keep the property-level return separate and then stress different borrowing costs. I’m also treating $7,402 as an expectation rather than guaranteed income.

The next step is to replace my estimated insurance and tax lines with property-specific figures and run both normal turnover and a full vacant month.
 
I disagree slightly with choosing a target net yield before deciding how much uncertainty is in the rent. An 8.1% gross yield could be acceptable with stable occupancy and predictable expenses, yet poor if $7,402 depends on unusually favorable leasing conditions.

I’d want evidence supporting that monthly rent, then compare net income under the expected case and a lower-rent, higher-vacancy case.
 
A practical worksheet would have three columns: expected, stressed and break-even. Start with $88,824 annual rent, then deduct vacancy, management, property tax, insurance, routine maintenance, turnover costs and the larger-repair reserve as separate lines. Divide what remains by $1,090,000 for the unlevered net yield.

Only after that should financing be added. If the deal becomes unattractive after one vacant month or a larger repair, the issue is not finding the perfect yield target; it is that the margin for error is too narrow.
 
Back
Top