Delhi valuation check: ₹33,820,000 for a 145 m² five-bed flat

StillPorch

Real estate agent
Established
I would like to proceed if the price can be supported, but the evidence is too thin for me to treat the asking figure as fair value yet. The Delhi property is a five-bedroom new-build flat of about 145 m², offered at ₹33,820,000. Its light and location appeal to me, while the finishes appear dated, the overall condition looks average and the insurance cost needs checking.

So far I have three active listings and a single recorded transaction for comparison. Before applying a condition adjustment, should I first confirm how each property’s floor area was measured? I also wonder whether tenure or remaining lease length, outdoor space, parking or the apparent mismatch between “new-build” and dated interiors could outweigh the finish differences. My next step would be a local appraisal, but I want to know which facts to verify before deciding whether to proceed, renegotiate or walk away.
 
The asking price is roughly ₹233,000 per m² on the stated area, but I would not apply a standard condition percentage yet. First establish whether 145 m² means carpet area or a broader saleable area and put every comparable on the same basis. With only one completed transaction, that definition could move the analysis more than any finish adjustment. Treat the three asking prices as context, not confirmed value.
 
How similar is the completed sale: same development or street, similar floor, and reasonably recent? Also, did its price include parking? Those details matter before adjusting anything. I’d want the tenure or remaining lease term if applicable, service charges, parking arrangement and any private outdoor space. “New-build” alongside “dated finishes” also needs explaining—is the building new, or is that simply how the listing describes it?
 
I agree about normalising the area, but I think exact micro-location could matter even more. A comparable with the same size and bedroom count may still be weak if its immediate surroundings, access or outlook are materially different. I’d split the exercise into location, building, unit and extras rather than trying to solve everything through a single price-per-m² adjustment.
 
Be careful with straight-line floor-area adjustments. Once the flats are broadly similar in size, an extra square metre does not necessarily carry the headline average rate. Layout efficiency matters too, especially with five bedrooms within 145 m².

For condition, I’d grade each comparable consistently—similar, superior or inferior—then support any deduction with the likely cost and disruption of replacing the dated finishes. Without that, a percentage range is mostly guesswork.
 
Parking and outdoor space should be separated where possible rather than buried in the condition adjustment. The same goes for recurring service charges and possible insurance costs: they affect affordability and buyer appetite, but they are not interchangeable with worn finishes. Ask for a clear breakdown of what is included in ₹33,820,000 and what ongoing payments attach to the flat.
 
There is still value in a floor-area sensitivity, even if straight-line scaling is imperfect. I’d calculate the result using only comparables measured on the same basis, then run alternative cases for layout and condition rather than pretending there is one precise answer. For the completed sale, seeing its actual floor plan could reveal whether its nominal area provides comparable usable accommodation.
 
That sensitivity approach makes sense, provided the completed sale remains the main anchor. I’d now make a one-page comparison table covering measurement basis, micro-location, floor, condition, parking, outdoor space, tenure and service charges. Leave a blank rather than inventing an adjustment where evidence is missing. Then compare that range with the local appraisal and use the unresolved costs to decide whether the asking price leaves enough margin.
 
Back
Top