Delhi first-time buyer: is ₹1,503,000 enough cash after closing?

KindHarbor

Homeowner
Established
I’m considering a 3-bed apartment in Delhi at around ₹44,260,000. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I’d have roughly ₹1,503,000 left in cash.

The inspection could uncover ordinary first-year work, and I’m trying to divide the remainder among emergency savings, moving, immediate repairs and furniture. There are also service charges, the insurance excess and the first mortgage payment to allow for. I’d rather buy below my maximum than have every small problem become a crisis. How would others structure this buffer?
 
I’d ring-fence the emergency fund first and measure it in months of essential spending, including the mortgage and service charges. That money should not also be the repair fund.

After that, prioritise moving and genuinely urgent inspection items. Furniture can be bought gradually. ₹1,503,000 may be comfortable or tight depending on your monthly outgoings, which are the important missing number.
 
I would like the ₹1,503,000 to cover a genuine repair reserve, but that is difficult to judge until the near-term bills are removed from it. Check whether the amount already accounts for the initial mortgage instalment, service charges payable around handover and moving expenses.

After that, use a staged budget rather than committing everything now. If the inspection finds little beyond cosmetic work, furniture can be added gradually. If it reveals an urgent defect, keep the furniture allocation unspent while you obtain costs and decide whether the apartment still works financially.
 
₹1,503,000 is the number that matters here, not its percentage of the ₹44,260,000 purchase price. The central assumption I would question is that all of this cash must be divided among post-completion categories before the inspection is known.

Keep the emergency amount separate and leave the proposed repair and furniture portions unassigned for now. If the report identifies manageable work, set a repair cap and proceed in stages. If the work is too costly, negotiate the price or step away rather than using the emergency reserve to close the gap.
 
As an illustration, not a recommendation: ₹750,000 emergency savings, ₹150,000 moving and initial bills, ₹300,000 for urgent work, ₹150,000 for basic furniture, and ₹153,000 as an unassigned contingency. That totals ₹1,503,000.

But I would only use that split if ₹750,000 represents a reasonable number of months of essential expenses for you. Otherwise furniture and non-urgent work should give way.
 
Anna’s example is useful, though I’d probably combine the repair and unassigned amounts until the inspection is complete. Separate labels can create a false sense that ₹300,000 is safely available for repairs when a first mortgage payment or service-charge demand has been missed from the estimate.
 
Agreed on keeping it flexible. Once the inspection arrives, sort findings into: necessary before moving in, necessary within the first year, and cosmetic. Get estimates for the first category rather than relying on a broad allowance. I’d also clarify which building-related charges are already settled and which could fall due after purchase. If the necessary work consumes most of the non-emergency cash, the price is too close to the limit.
 
A simple cash-flow calendar may calm the nerves more than another percentage. List every expected payment from closing through the first few months: moving, first mortgage payment, service charges, insurance and its excess, essential repairs, then minimum furniture. Keep the emergency fund on a separate line and do not count it twice.

If the remaining cash cannot handle those known items plus one plausible inspection surprise, buying slightly below your maximum sounds prudent rather than overly cautious.
 
Back
Top