Defining the broker’s role on a €1,058,000 Milan student-housing purchase

aisha_leases

Mortgage adviser
I’m comparing mortgage-broking proposals for student housing in Milan priced around €1,058,000. The scopes are surprisingly different: some mention negotiation and document coordination, while others appear to end once a lender introduction is made.

What should I insist on in the written scope—particularly fees, response deadlines, local lender knowledge and responsibility from offer through closing? I also want to understand the cash downside if financing stalls. Specific Italy-focused questions to ask would help more than a sales pitch.
 
To clarify, I’m not expecting the broker to replace the buyer’s legal or tax advisers. I’m trying to identify one accountable contact for the financing trail: submissions, lender requests, valuation progress, conditions and deadlines. What independent evidence would show that someone actually understands this type of Milan property rather than simply having a lender list?
 
Ask each broker for a stage-by-stage scope and fee schedule before discussing lenders. It should say who prepares the application, follows missing documents, communicates conditions, coordinates with the other parties and stays involved until funds are ready. Also ask when every fee becomes payable and what happens if no suitable loan is obtained.

For responsiveness, agree an actual timetable: acknowledgement within a stated period, scheduled updates, and prompt escalation of anything threatening the offer or closing dates. Evidence of local ability could include anonymised examples of comparable property types and a clear explanation of which lenders will consider the asset and why.
 
I’d be cautious about making “one accountable contact” the main test. A responsive broker cannot control a lender’s valuation, approval or release timetable. The important distinction is between responsibility for chasing and reporting, versus guaranteeing an outcome.

Before paying anything, map the financing deadlines against the offer and any money at risk. Have the relevant Italian professionals confirm how financing conditions and closing obligations work in your particular transaction. The fallback plan might be another lender, more equity, a revised timetable—or walking away before commitment.
 
That caveat is important. I would turn it into four written questions: What is within your control? What depends on the lender or other parties? How quickly will you notify me of delay or refusal? What work and fees remain if the first route fails?

Keep a shared document trail of versions submitted, requests received, replies sent and upcoming dates. Compare the broker’s claims with information obtained independently from the proposed lender and your transaction advisers. If the quotation only promises an “introduction” and says nothing about follow-through, price it as an introduction rather than full-service broking.
 
Back
Top