Defining buyer representation for a HK$1,794,000 studio

nimble_creek

Seller
Established
I’m comparing buyer-representation offers for a studio in Hong Kong priced around HK$1,794,000, but the same label seems to cover completely different services. Some firms mention negotiation and document coordination; others appear to provide only an introduction.

What should I insist on in the written scope before appointing anyone? I want clear response times, a transparent fee and payment schedule, evidence of local experience, and one named person accountable from offer through closing. Concrete Hong Kong examples or useful exclusions to watch for would help more than a sales pitch.
 
At minimum, ask for a line-by-line scope covering property search, viewing arrangements, price negotiation, offer handling, liaison with the seller’s side, and coordination with your solicitor through closing. It should also state what they do not handle.

The fee needs to show the amount or calculation method, when it becomes payable, and what happens if the purchase fails. I’d also want response targets for time-sensitive offers and a named substitute if the main contact is unavailable.
 
The practical limit is the total amount you can spend, not the length of the representative’s service list. A detailed scope is useful, but it does not resolve who they owe duties to or whether they may also be paid on the seller’s side. Even “document coordination” could amount to little more than passing messages along.

I would add conflict disclosure and payment sources to the written questions already suggested. Also clarify whether HK$1,794,000 is your absolute budget or only the studio’s asking price, because fees and transaction costs leave very different room for negotiation.
 
Good distinction. I would send each candidate the same short scenario and request a written reply: a studio at HK$1,794,000, an offer needing a prompt response, and a delay or disputed term before closing. Ask who acts, by when, what records you receive, and what happens if that person is absent.

Then compare the answers against independent evidence rather than presentation quality: sample reporting format, itemised fee terms, exclusions, conflict disclosure, and references you can verify. Keep your own document trail, and have the relevant Hong Kong solicitor confirm legal-document responsibilities instead of assuming the representative covers them.
 
Back
Top