December 2024: are Sydney country homes starting to diverge?

loft.balanced

First-time buyer
Established
Seventy-nine days is the current marketing period for a small set of country homes I saved around Sydney in December 2024. They are priced from A$352,600 to A$529,000, but their price cuts and buyer interest have not followed a consistent pattern.

That makes me reluctant to call either a trend or simple noise. Buyer financing and property tax may be affecting individual decisions, while a rise in new listings could change how much choice buyers have. What would you compare first to tell whether this segment is shifting: completed sales, the timing of reductions, or new-listing volume?
 
Just to clarify, the 79 days refers to the current marketing period for the listings I saved, not an average drawn from completed sales. I suspect recent sale prices, withdrawals and relistings would tell us more, but I do not want to mistake a small, mixed group for a market trend.
 
My starting assumption would be ordinary variation. In that price range, condition and exact neighbourhood boundaries can overwhelm the broader Sydney label. I would compare each listing with genuinely similar completed sales, then note whether new-listing volume has risen. Asking prices alone will not show whether buyers have actually moved.
 
What do you mean by “Sydney country homes” here—properties within Sydney’s wider region, or rural-style homes being marketed to Sydney buyers? That boundary could change the comparison substantially. Also, which property tax figure are you using? Different costs can be presented under that broad description, so it is worth separating the amount and payment timing before comparing monthly affordability.
 
I would not dismiss the 79-day period quite so quickly. Divergent listings can be an early signal if price cuts begin occurring at similar points in the campaign. The catch is withdrawn stock: if stale listings disappear rather than sell, the visible group may look healthier than it is. Record the first listing date, each reduction and any withdrawal.
 
Eva’s point about condition matters, but buyer financing could produce the same pattern. Two similarly priced properties may attract different buyers if one needs substantial work or has less predictable ongoing costs. Any energy-label information should be considered alongside the actual condition, not treated as a substitute for it. I would split the group into ready-to-occupy and renovation cases before interpreting the days listed.
 
Seller motivation is another missing piece. A long campaign with no reduction may indicate a seller willing to wait, while a newer listing with an early cut can indicate more urgency. Those are different stories even if both remain unsold. I would also watch whether completed sales are below the original asking prices, where both figures are available.
 
There may be a market change here, but this sample cannot establish it yet. I’d keep the narrow group and add three columns: comparable completed sale, date and size of any price cut, and final outcome—sold, withdrawn or still listed. Then separate by neighbourhood and condition. If several comparable homes show longer campaigns or earlier reductions despite similar seller circumstances, the case for a broader shift becomes stronger.
 
Back
Top