Copenhagen villas: what is really driving the gap between asking and completed prices?

yara.ridge

Homeowner
If I misread the gap between asking and completed prices, I could end up treating an overpriced villa as a market benchmark. The Copenhagen listings I’m following run from DKK 4,494,000 to DKK 6,740,000, with DKK 5,617,000 as the midpoint reference. The same snapshot reports 4.5% movement and about 73 days on market.

My initial thought was that transaction costs might account for much of the gap. A dated villa withdrawn after two months and later returned under a fresh listing would be an obvious counterexample, because condition, seller urgency and the reset listing history could explain both the discount and the reported marketing period.

I’d like to compare this with actual transactions before drawing a conclusion. If anyone has a recent example, please say whether the figure is an asking or completed price, identify the neighbourhood and villa type, and note any withdrawal, relisting or price cut. I’m particularly interested in where buyers would draw the neighbourhood boundary.
 
I wouldn’t draw the fees conclusion from those figures yet. Is DKK 5,617,000 an asking-price reference or a completed-sale figure? Also, how are you treating relisted villas when calculating 73 days? A listing that disappears and returns can make both time on market and the apparent discount misleading. The neighbourhood boundary matters too; “Copenhagen” may combine markets that buyers do not view as substitutes.
 
Condition and seller motivation sound like stronger explanations than transaction fees, unless the fee burden changes materially across your sample. A dated villa with an impatient seller is not comparable with a renovated one that can wait.

I’d also track new-listing volume against withdrawals. Fewer visible listings could look like demand strength when owners are simply pausing sales. Buyer financing may explain why cuts cluster at certain price points, but completed transactions are needed before treating that as more than a possibility.
 
Miguel’s point suggests a practical way to test this. Split the villas by neighbourhood, condition, first-listing date, any price-cut date, and whether they were withdrawn or relisted. Then compare only completed sales within those groups. Emil, clarifying what the 4.5% measures—and whether DKK 5,617,000 is asking or completed—would make the next update much easier to interpret.
 
Back
Top