Contingency and sequencing for a 70 m² Hong Kong country-home renovation

gia_wren

Homeowner
I need to decide soon whether this project can stay within HK$2,804,000. The trade-off is between reserving enough for hidden work and leaving a usable allowance for the visible renovation.

The property is a 70 m² Hong Kong country home priced at HK$8,697,000. I am allowing for a new kitchen and bathrooms, replacement flooring, decoration, electrical inspection and some energy-efficiency work. There is no planned extension, although I do not yet know whether repairs to the existing structure will be needed.

What would you inspect before setting the contingency? I can postpone finishes, but opening completed surfaces again for wiring, plumbing, damp or structural repairs would be much harder to undo. I’m particularly interested in the questions that should be put to the surveyor and contractor about moisture sources, concealed services and what their prices exclude.
 
For an older or poorly documented home, I’d initially ring-fence roughly 15–20% rather than allocate the entire HK$2,804,000 to specified work. Before fixing that figure, ask whether the electrical price includes opening walls, replacing concealed wiring, upgrading distribution equipment and making good afterward. On plumbing, clarify whether pipe replacement is included or only visible fixtures.
 
Do you know the building’s age, whether renovation records exist, and how contractors can physically access it? Those details could move the contingency more than the floor area. I’d also want moisture readings around bathrooms, external walls and the lowest floor, plus an explanation of whether any dampness comes from plumbing, drainage or the exterior.
 
I wouldn’t rely on a survey alone to shrink the reserve. Hidden conditions remain hidden until finishes come off. The more useful contractor questions are about exclusions: debris removal, protection, scaffolding or difficult access, temporary water and power, wall reinstatement, testing, and return visits by different trades. A low quotation with vague exclusions is not a controlled budget.
 
Sequence the intrusive work first: investigate moisture, confirm electrical and plumbing routes, then decide what must be opened. Energy upgrades should follow that investigation rather than precede it; otherwise new finishes or insulation may have to be disturbed to address water or wiring. Flooring and paint belong near the end and are the easiest items to defer.
 
Miguel’s access question is important. Material lead times and the practical route for deliveries can affect the programme even when the materials themselves are within budget. I’d also ask which parts of the proposed work may need approvals in this particular property and who is allowing time for them. “No extension” does not automatically mean every alteration is straightforward.
 
I’d challenge the single contingency percentage. Split it into an investigation allowance and a protected construction reserve. Spend the first on targeted opening-up where electrical routes, pipework or damp are uncertain; keep the second untouched for conditions that appear during demolition. That gives you a decision point before committing to the kitchen, flooring and other postponable work.
 
For comparable tenders, give every contractor the same scope and ask each to identify assumptions in writing. Useful questions include: Which walls or floors will be opened? Who pays for making good? Are electrical and water tests included? What is excluded if moisture damage is found? Which materials must be ordered early? How are variations priced and approved? Also request a trade-by-trade programme rather than one completion date.
 
I agree with splitting the money, though I’d still keep the overall reserve toward the cautious end until the opening-up results are available. The HK$2,804,000 budget is substantial relative to 70 m², but that does not protect it from an unclear scope. The tender should distinguish necessary remedial work from planned upgrades so cosmetic items can be removed without disrupting essential systems.
 
One final practical step: set written stop points. After investigation, decide whether moisture remediation changes the scope; after electrical and plumbing exposure, update the essential-work total; only then release orders for finishes with long lead times. That approach will not eliminate surprises, but it prevents hidden-condition spending from quietly consuming money already committed to the kitchen and bathrooms.
 
Back
Top