The 540 sq ft footprint is what made me reconsider the budget: fixed costs and difficult access could matter more than the amount of floor space. I am testing C$311,000 for a Toronto villa renovation covering the kitchen, bathrooms, surfaces, electrical assessment and some energy improvements, without an extension.
Before debating finishes, I want to establish whether opening a bathroom floor could expose moisture, service problems or structural work. Material lead times could also disrupt the order of trades if items are selected too late.
What checks would you arrange before asking contractors for fixed prices, and which exclusions should be stated explicitly? I would also be interested in how others separate contingency for hidden conditions from allowances for products that can still be changed.
Before debating finishes, I want to establish whether opening a bathroom floor could expose moisture, service problems or structural work. Material lead times could also disrupt the order of trades if items are selected too late.
What checks would you arrange before asking contractors for fixed prices, and which exclusions should be stated explicitly? I would also be interested in how others separate contingency for hidden conditions from allowances for products that can still be changed.