Contingency and sequencing for a 45 m² Doha flat renovation

compass.fresh

Homeowner
Established
I want to complete the essential work in one organised programme, but approvals and concealed services may make that unrealistic. The property is a 45 m² new-build flat in Doha priced at QAR 5,187,000, with an initial renovation allowance of QAR 711,100.

The plan includes kitchen and bathroom work, new finishes, electrical testing and selected energy improvements. I can postpone decorative items, whereas plumbing access, waterproofing or electrical defects could force an immediate change of sequence. Would you set one contingency for the full project, or release funds in stages after handover checks, management approval and opening-up inspections? I would also appreciate specific questions to ask about permits, working restrictions and responsibility for defects.
 
For an early budget, I would ring-fence roughly 15% rather than distribute it across generous finish allowances. Release it only for documented surprises.

Before appointing anyone, ask for a written exclusions list covering electrical-board work, concealed plumbing, waterproofing repairs, access panels, disposal, protection of common areas and making good after inspections. Also separate optional energy upgrades from essential remedial work.
 
How “new” is the new-build, and has it already been handed over? That changes the approach. Before opening walls, find out what the developer may still be responsible for and whether intrusive work could complicate that position.

I’d also ask building management what approvals, working hours, access arrangements and material-delivery restrictions apply. Permit or management timing can disrupt the sequence even when the physical job is small.
 
I’m not convinced a percentage contingency is the main answer here. QAR 711,100 is substantial for 45 m², so vague scope is a bigger risk than an undersized reserve. Get the contractor to price each room and system separately, state quantities and identify every provisional sum. Otherwise a 15% pot can simply conceal incomplete estimating.
 
Agreed on defining the scope, but I wouldn’t assume the absence of an extension means there is no structural question. Confirm whether any kitchen or bathroom redesign involves cutting, chasing or drilling into slabs or walls, and whether heavy items need approval.

Most importantly, freeze wet-service locations before flooring and cabinetry. Moving a sink or shower late can trigger plumbing, waterproofing, electrical and finishing changes together.
 
Moisture deserves its own pre-start step. Ask whoever inspects the flat to test around bathrooms, kitchen connections, external walls and air-conditioning drainage points, then record the condition before finishes cover anything.

For plumbing access, ask: Which valves isolate the flat? Can traps and connections remain serviceable? What happens if a leak is found after cabinets are installed? The answers should shape the sequence, not just the contract wording.
 
Material lead times could decide what gets delayed. Have the contractor produce a simple programme showing approvals, investigation, electrical and plumbing work, waterproofing and testing, ceilings or wall repairs, flooring, fixed joinery, then paint and final fittings. Long-lead items should be identified before demolition.

I would keep cosmetic selections out of the critical path. There is little value having premium flooring on site while unresolved water or electrical work is still opening surfaces.
 
One more contractor question: who pays when an inspection reveals work outside the stated scope, and how is a variation approved? Require a price and time effect before extra work starts, except for genuine urgent isolation of water or electricity.

I’d obtain two versions of the programme and budget: essential systems plus basic making-good, then the full cosmetic scheme. That gives you a workable stopping point if hidden conditions consume the contingency.
 
Back
Top