One approach is to reserve heavily before any work starts. The other is to investigate first and keep more cash out of the project. For a first renovation, I can see the logic in both.
The Melbourne apartment is 125 m² and was purchased for A$676,400. I have a preliminary A$197,000 allowance covering the kitchen, bathrooms, floors, painting, electrical assessment and some energy improvements; an extension is not proposed. Decorative items can move to a later stage, but unsafe wiring or active water damage would have to be addressed immediately.
Would you set an initial contingency now, then revise it after moisture, plumbing access and the electrical scope are checked? I also plan to ask contractors to list exclusions for opening and repairing walls, waste, common-area protection and service access. Any approval or permit timing that affects the sequence needs to be identified before the programme is fixed.
The Melbourne apartment is 125 m² and was purchased for A$676,400. I have a preliminary A$197,000 allowance covering the kitchen, bathrooms, floors, painting, electrical assessment and some energy improvements; an extension is not proposed. Decorative items can move to a later stage, but unsafe wiring or active water damage would have to be addressed immediately.
Would you set an initial contingency now, then revise it after moisture, plumbing access and the electrical scope are checked? I also plan to ask contractors to list exclusions for opening and repairing walls, waste, common-area protection and service access. Any approval or permit timing that affects the sequence needs to be identified before the programme is fixed.