Contingency and hidden-condition checks for a 125 m² Doha retail renovation

even_thread

Homeowner
Established
The absence of an extension initially made this look straightforward. On closer inspection, the risk seems to sit in the existing services and in anything hidden behind the current finishes.

I am working with a preliminary budget of QAR 1,132,000 for a 125 m² retail unit in Doha. The planned renovation covers the kitchen, bathrooms, floors, decoration, electrical testing and some energy-efficiency work. No extension is intended, although I want any unexpected structural work identified before prices are fixed.

What contingency would be reasonable at this point? I am looking for practical survey and tender questions about plumbing access, moisture, electrical capacity, exclusions, approval timing and long-lead materials. Sequencing matters more to me than choosing finishes at this stage.
 
At preliminary stage I would separate a 15–20% contingency from identified but unpriced items. Otherwise the contingency quietly becomes the allowance for everything omitted from the scope.

Before tender, ask for intrusive checks where permitted: open selected wet-area and service access points, test for moisture, trace drainage routes and confirm the condition and capacity of the electrical supply. Make every contractor list exclusions rather than simply saying the price is “complete.”
 
Is “kitchen” a staff kitchenette or a food-preparation operation? That one fact could change the services, equipment loads, ventilation and approvals enough to make the overall number difficult to assess.

I’d also establish whether existing plumbing can be reached without removing finished floors or ceilings outside the unit. Access restrictions can be a larger sequencing issue than the repair itself.
 
I would map the sequence before settling the contingency: surveys and opening-up, design freeze, landlord or building coordination if applicable, permit steps, long-lead orders, first-fix services, waterproofing, finishes, testing and handover. Ask each bidder to attach durations and dependencies to those stages.

For wet areas, clarify who repairs substrate damage discovered after stripping and who pays if waterproofing has to extend beyond the initially assumed area.
 
I’m not convinced a blanket 20% is automatically safer. On QAR 1,132,000 that is a substantial reserve, but it still gives little control if “electrical checks” remains vague. Define whether the price includes only inspection or also corrective work, new circuits, distribution changes and testing after installation. A smaller contingency against a well-investigated scope can be more useful than a large percentage attached to ambiguity.
 
Agreed that the percentage cannot substitute for scope definition. My question about the kitchen was aimed at exactly that. I’d request a priced schedule with separate allowances for electrical remedial work, concealed plumbing repairs and moisture-related substrate replacement. Then Katarina can distinguish expected spending from genuine unknowns and avoid one trade consuming the whole reserve.
 
Also ask bidders to state which materials are assumed to be locally available and which depend on ordering, plus the last date substitutions can be made without delaying the programme. Permit timing should appear as an explicit assumption, not be buried in the completion date.

For comparison, issue the same question sheet to everyone: access hours, protection and waste removal, temporary services, testing, making good, authority or building fees, design responsibility, exclusions and the validity period of the price.
 
Back
Top