Contingency and due diligence for a ₹17,980,000 Mumbai renovation

countTheWall

Homeowner
I have a first-pass scope and budget, but the concealed work and approval sequence are still unclear. The figure is ₹17,980,000 for a 210 m² mixed-use building in Mumbai, covering renovation of the kitchen and bathrooms, new finishes, electrical checks and some efficiency improvements. I am not proposing an extension.

Before choosing finishes, I want to identify what could disrupt the programme or sit outside a contractor’s price. What should I ask the surveyor to inspect, particularly around plumbing access and hidden services? I would also like to know how people allow for permit timing and how much contingency they retain before any opening-up has been done.
 
At a preliminary stage, I would keep roughly 15–20% outside the base scope, then revisit it after surveys and selective opening-up. Ask each contractor to list exclusions explicitly, especially concealed wiring, damaged pipework, waterproofing, access equipment, debris removal and making good after investigation. A single contingency percentage is less useful if those items are simply absent from the price.
 
Will the residential and commercial areas remain occupied or operational during the work? That can change sequencing and temporary-services costs substantially. I’d also want to know the building’s age, whether reliable drawings exist, where plumbing runs can actually be accessed, and whether there are visible moisture marks that worsen around the monsoon.
 
I’m not convinced a large contingency alone solves this. “No extension” does not necessarily mean no structural repairs once finishes are removed. Before locking the budget, investigate cracks, persistent damp, slab or roof leakage, and any areas where previous alterations may have disturbed walls or services. Also define whether an “electrical check” means inspection only or includes replacing unsafe or inadequate components.
 
Fair point. I’d split the allowance rather than hide everything in one pot: known scope, identified repairs not yet fully measured, and a true unknown-condition reserve. That makes it harder for ordinary scope growth to consume the contingency.

The contractor should also provide a sequence showing shutdowns, wet-area work, inspections, curing or drying time, and long-lead materials. Otherwise the price may look complete while the programme is not.
 
Permit and approval timing also needs its own line in the programme, particularly because this is mixed-use and the work may affect shared services. Without assuming which approvals apply, ask who is responsible for confirming them, making submissions and responding to conditions. Put the answer in the contract rather than relying on “the owner will handle it” or “the contractor will arrange it.”
 
There is a limit to how firmly anyone can price concealed conditions. A small enabling package may be worthwhile: open representative wet-area ducts, inspect accessible drainage and water lines, expose a few suspect electrical routes, and test moisture-affected areas before the main contract. Record who pays for reinstatement. That should reduce uncertainty more effectively than asking bidders to guess and then comparing unlike guesses.
 
I would compare bids by work section, not just total price: kitchen, each bathroom, flooring, decoration, electrical, plumbing, moisture repairs and energy measures. Require quantities or clear assumptions where possible. If one bid is much lower in plumbing access or waterproofing, that is probably a question to investigate rather than an automatic saving.
 
Also ask for named material assumptions and the latest date by which selections must be confirmed. The goal is not to choose every finish now, but to identify items that could disrupt the sequence. Each bidder should state what happens if the specified item is unavailable: approved substitution, price adjustment, programme adjustment, or some combination.
 
What falls under “moderate energy upgrades”? Lighting changes, controls, cooling equipment and improvements to the building envelope can involve very different trades and lead times. I’d define the intended outcome and included systems before tendering. Otherwise bidders may allow for completely different things while all describing their proposals as energy upgrades.
 
The electrical wording is the biggest ambiguity for me. An inspection allowance is not a replacement budget. Ask for the condition and capacity of the incoming supply, distribution, protective equipment, earthing and circuits serving the kitchen and commercial space to be assessed, then price any recommended work separately. For plumbing, map access points, isolation locations and the route for replacing failed sections without destroying newly completed finishes.
 
Agreed—the electrical and plumbing investigations should happen before flooring, paint and fitted kitchen work are released. I’d keep the higher preliminary contingency until those findings, moisture investigations and approval responsibilities are documented. After that, reduce it only if the base contract has genuinely absorbed the identified work rather than merely renaming exclusions.
 
Back
Top