Completed my first apartment purchase in Sydney

loft.balanced

First-time buyer
Established
Settlement week became the real deadline, and the trade-off was between making firm arrangements early and keeping enough flexibility for lender or document delays. My first Sydney apartment purchase has now completed, but the process took several unsuccessful offers and more paperwork than expected.

The main lesson was to keep extra cash accessible for insurance, fees and repairs rather than allocating every dollar to completion. It also helped to name the person responsible for each action once the offer moved forward, especially where lender timing affected everything else.

The rejected offers were not wasted effort. They gave me a better sense of price and showed which compromises I was unwilling to make. I’m curious what practical lesson others only discovered during their first purchase.
 
Congratulations. Moving coordination is the part people understate. Settlement, access, removalists and utility timing can all depend on one another, yet they may be handled by different people. I’d avoid making any irreversible moving arrangements until the timing is genuinely firm, and keep a fallback plan for the first night.
 
How much did the inspection alter your plans? With an apartment, I’d separate defects inside the unit from anything involving common property or the wider building. A small visible repair may be easy to price; an unclear building issue is harder to reserve for. Did you receive anything that changed either your offer or your post-completion cash buffer?
 
I slightly disagree that rejected offers are always useful pricing data. They tell you what failed, but not necessarily why: another buyer may have offered better terms rather than simply more money. The useful part is recording the offer amount, conditions and response, then changing one thing deliberately next time instead of chasing every rejection upward.
 
That’s fair—the terms mattered, not just the number. I started keeping notes after each rejection, including conditions and how quickly the campaign moved, which stopped me treating every result as a signal to bid higher.

The inspection didn’t uncover anything that ended the purchase, but it did make the repair reserve feel non-negotiable. The harder part was the final document week: several tasks were moving at once, and I wasn’t always sure whether I, the lender or someone handling the transaction was expected to act.
 
A simple shared timeline would help with that, even if it is just your own list: task, person responsible, due date, confirmation received and what depends on it. Lender timing deserves its own line because “in progress” is not the same as ready for completion. I’d also keep insurance, moving costs, unexpected fees and repairs as separate cash amounts rather than one vague leftover balance.
 
That separation is important because an early repair can be postponed, while a fee or insurance payment may not be. Before the cash gets absorbed by furnishings, Diego, I’d make a short first-month list: essential repairs, building-related questions, access and moving arrangements, then optional purchases. It preserves the reserve and gives the inspection findings somewhere practical to go.
 
Back
Top