Comparing energy assessment scopes for a £183,300 detached home in London

calm_chart

Buyer
Established
I’m comparing energy assessment services for a detached home in London priced around £183,300. Some providers appear to offer only an assessment and introduction, while others mention negotiation, document coordination and support through to completion.

My decision is whether the bundled service is actually worthwhile or whether to appoint an assessor separately. What should the written scope cover, how quickly should questions be answered, and who should remain responsible after the report is issued? I want transparent fees, relevant local knowledge and a clean document trail rather than another dashboard.
 
First clarify whether you need an EPC-style assessment or a deeper review of likely improvements and costs. Those are not interchangeable, and negotiation should be a clearly priced extra rather than hidden inside “support.” Ask each provider to identify the inspection, deliverables, exclusions, response time and named contact in writing. Also ask what happens when a finding is challenged between offer and completion.
 
The deeper buyer-side review is what I mean. I’m less interested in obtaining a rating than in understanding what work may be needed and being able to ask follow-up questions before completion. I don’t need the assessor to negotiate the purchase price, but I do need findings explained and relevant information passed to the right person without everyone denying responsibility.
 
I’d be cautious about paying for a single “accountable” service unless one person genuinely owns the query from inspection to resolution. A bundled firm can still just route messages between separate parties.

Send every candidate the same short scenario and request a line-by-line scope, fee, turnaround, follow-up period and escalation contact. Then compare their answers against independent evidence about the property, not their sales language. The £183,300 price should not distract from what is actually being inspected.
 
One addition: agree the fallback before appointing anyone. If they miss the promised response deadline or cannot answer a technical point, can you take the report elsewhere, and what material will be provided? Vague “document coordination” is little use unless the quote says which documents, who receives them and when the handoff is complete.
 
Back
Top