Comparing conveyancing services for a $1,345,000 New York apartment

I’m comparing conveyancing services for a New York apartment around $1,345,000, but the quotes seem to use the same label for very different work. Some mention negotiation and document coordination; others appear to end after an introduction.

Before choosing one, what should the written scope actually cover? I’m particularly concerned about transparent fees, local knowledge, expected response times, and one named person remaining accountable from offer through closing. Specific United States examples or useful comparison questions would help more than a sales pitch.
 
I would ask each provider to put the boundaries in writing: whether they negotiate terms, coordinate documents, track dates, explain who handles each step, and stay involved through closing. The quote should separate its own fee from possible third-party costs and identify exclusions. Also ask for a named contact, an escalation route, and a realistic response commitment for time-sensitive issues—not just “prompt service.”
 
One missing fact: is the apartment a condo, a co-op, or another ownership structure, and are you buying or selling? Also, will financing be involved? Those answers could change the document trail and the coordination required.

I’m less convinced that a promised response time alone proves much. A provider can answer quickly without taking responsibility. Ask who has authority to act when a deadline is approaching and the usual contact is unavailable.
 
I’d send every candidate the same short scenario and request an itemized scope, assumptions, exclusions, likely additional charges, and what happens if the transaction is delayed or does not close. Then compare the answers side by side.

For independent evidence, ask for a sample workflow or anonymized timeline rather than relying on broad claims about local expertise. The fallback plan matters too: who takes over during absence, how unresolved items are recorded, and whether you retain a complete document trail if you change providers.
 
Back
Top