Comparing Boston listing proposals for a $260,000 studio

xavi_flint

Property manager
Established
I’ve compared several proposals for selling a Boston studio at roughly $260,000, but I still cannot see whether the higher fees buy meaningful support. The service lists differ: some exclude parts of the transaction, while others cover photography, screening of buyers, negotiation and help through closing.

Before choosing, I want each firm to define its photography package, extra charges and responsibilities if a deal falls apart. I’ll also ask for relevant recent sales, typical response arrangements and the name of the person who will actually handle offers and the file. Which of those points should be confirmed before signing, and which can reasonably be adjusted later? Local experiences that explain what happened after an accepted offer would be particularly helpful.
 
Ask each agent to put the scope and every possible extra charge into the same written format. For photography, clarify what is delivered and whether reshoots are extra. For offers, ask who presents them, how quickly, and whether you receive a written comparison of price, financing, contingencies and timing. Also ask what they do if a buyer withdraws. A lower fee can be fine, but only if you know which work shifts back to you.
 
Before comparing services, are all the fees calculated on the same basis, and do any costs apply even if the studio does not close? I’d also ask who covers the named agent when unavailable and how any conflict is disclosed if the same firm is involved with a buyer. “Buyer qualification” needs defining too—it could mean little more than asking for financing information unless the proposal says otherwise.
 
I wouldn’t automatically treat the most inclusive proposal as the best one. Photography and coordination are easier to list than judgment during pricing and negotiation, and a long menu of services does not prove they will be done well.

Give all candidates the same hypothetical: two offers arrive, one higher but more conditional and one lower with simpler terms. Ask how they would communicate the trade-offs and who would respond that evening. Then request recent comparable studio sales and contact details for the person handling the listing after it goes live. That should make the differences less abstract.
 
Back
Top