Comparing agent fees and service scope for a four-bedroom Singapore home

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
I have put the proposals side by side, but it is still unclear whether I am comparing equivalent services. This is for a four-bedroom coastal home in Singapore expected to sell at around S$1,501,000. The cheaper proposal leaves several stages to the seller, while the more expensive one covers marketing images, screening enquiries, handling offers and coordinating the transaction through completion.

What evidence would justify paying the difference? I plan to ask about genuinely comparable completed sales, response times, how competing offers are managed and what help is provided if a buyer drops out. I also want written confirmation of who will run the listing day to day, what the fee is calculated on and how any conflict involving another client or party would be declared. Views from people familiar with Singapore transactions would be useful.
 
Ask each agent to rewrite the proposal against the same list of tasks and state what is included, excluded or charged separately. For comparable sales, request examples genuinely similar in location, size and condition—not just nearby properties at a convenient price point. Also ask for the original asking price, final price and marketing period, where they are able to share that information.
 
Are the fee proposals based on the same appointment arrangement and sale outcome? A low percentage can be misleading if photography, listing materials or closing work are separate costs.

For photography, I’d ask who selects the photographer, what is delivered, whether floor-plan or retouching work is included, and what happens if the first set is unsuitable. “Photography included” is otherwise too vague to compare.
 
I would not put much weight on an agent’s fall-through rate by itself. One or two difficult files could distort it, and agents may define a fall-through differently. The better question is what they do after an accepted offer: how they monitor progress, identify delays, keep both sides informed and restart marketing if the transaction does not proceed.
 
Response time is measurable only if you separate seller communication from buyer enquiries. Ask who answers each type, expected hours of availability, and when you receive viewing feedback.

I’d also want the proposal to name the day-to-day contact and explain when assistants or colleagues become involved. On conflicts, ask how they disclose any relationship or competing interest involving a prospective buyer or another party.
 
I partly disagree with treating the broadest package as automatically better. Some included tasks may be routine or unnecessary for this particular home, while a lean proposal can work if responsibilities are explicit. Compare the likely total cost, not just the headline fee.

The offer process is especially important: who records offers, how they are presented, whether conditions and timelines are shown clearly, and who conducts negotiation rather than merely passing messages.
 
A simple comparison table may settle this. Give each proposal rows for fee basis, separate expenses, photography deliverables, buyer qualification, viewing feedback, offer handling, negotiation, post-offer coordination, fall-through support, named contact and conflict disclosure. Then mark each item as included, optional, excluded or unanswered.

Send the unanswered rows back in writing. The quality and specificity of the responses will itself tell you something about the service.
 
This has helped. The proposals currently use broad labels, so I’ll ask all of them to respond to the same table rather than trying to compare their marketing language. I’ll also request a worked fee total at S$1,501,000, including any separately charged tasks, and clarification on who handles enquiries, negotiations and closing coordination. Fall-through rate will be a secondary question; the recovery process sounds more useful.
 
Back
Top