I want to choose the loan that is cheapest over the period I am likely to keep it. The obstacle is that the headline rates do not seem directly comparable.
For a New York purchase of about $1,385,000, I have a quote at 7.54% fixed for 20 years. Upfront lender charges and the applicable loan-to-value band make it less attractive than the advertised figure suggested.
Should I compare APR first and then calculate total cash paid over a realistic holding period, including points and other lender fees? I also need a sensible way to value early-payoff conditions, portability and the risk that I move or refinance well before 20 years.
For a New York purchase of about $1,385,000, I have a quote at 7.54% fixed for 20 years. Upfront lender charges and the applicable loan-to-value band make it less attractive than the advertised figure suggested.
Should I compare APR first and then calculate total cash paid over a realistic holding period, including points and other lender fees? I also need a sensible way to value early-payoff conditions, portability and the risk that I move or refinance well before 20 years.