The difficulty is comparing offers on the period I am likely to keep them, rather than on the lender's headline measure. The purchase is around €726,800, and one quote shows 7.27% fixed for three years, but its fees and loan-to-value band make it hard to compare directly with the alternatives.
Should I calculate the payments, upfront charges and remaining balance after year three for each offer? For example, a cheaper rate may not save money if its arrangement fee is large and I refinance when the fix expires. I also need to compare overpayment limits, exit charges, portability and the follow-on rate without assuming that refinancing will necessarily be available on good terms.
Should I calculate the payments, upfront charges and remaining balance after year three for each offer? For example, a cheaper rate may not save money if its arrangement fee is large and I refinance when the fix expires. I also need to compare overpayment limits, exit charges, portability and the follow-on rate without assuming that refinancing will necessarily be available on good terms.