Comparing a 7.11% five-year fixed mortgage quote in Mumbai

sasha_keel

Mortgage adviser
The monthly payment is manageable; the harder question is what happens if I do not keep the loan for the full term. This is for a small multifamily purchase in Mumbai at about ₹27,140,000, with a quoted rate of 7.11% fixed for five years. Fees and the applicable loan-to-value band make it less attractive than the promotion suggested.

I am comparing the cash paid and balance remaining after five years, but I also want to test earlier sale or repayment dates. Portability could help, though only if the terms genuinely carry over rather than requiring a fresh approval. Should a refinance after year five be treated as a separate scenario instead of being built into the main comparison?
 
I would compare the cash outlay over the five years: interest, arrangement fees and any other unavoidable lender charges, while showing principal repayment separately because that builds equity. Then run the same loan amount and repayment schedule for every quote. APR can help, but it may obscure your actual holding period. Also test whether the monthly payment still works if income from the property is temporarily lower than expected.
 
The five-year comparison is useful, but it could favour the wrong offer if you are likely to sell or repay early. I’d model at least three exit dates and include any applicable early-repayment cost at each one.

What happens after year five—automatic rate reset, planned refinance, or sale? A refinance assumption can make the spreadsheet look better while ignoring future fees and uncertain rates. I’d also ask each lender to confirm whether portability preserves the rate and terms or merely allows a new application.
 
Back
Top