Comparing a 6.75% fixed mortgage quote in Kuala Lumpur

aisha_park

First-time buyer
Comparing the loans over all 15 years may reward an option I will refinance earlier, while using only the initial monthly payment ignores substantial fees. Neither view feels dependable. The purchase price is about MYR 2,726,000, and one illustration shows 6.75% fixed for 15 years; its fee structure and loan-to-value band make the cheaper-looking headline less convincing.

What comparison period did others use for recent Malaysian financing? I am thinking of calculating instalments and upfront or financed charges to a realistic sale or refinance date, then comparing the remaining principal. I also need to check portability and early-settlement costs. Is there a particular section of the loan illustration or offer document that should state the assumptions behind those figures?
 
I would compare total cash paid over a period you realistically expect to keep the loan, not automatically the full 15 years. Include instalments, arrangement fees and any cost added to the balance, then show the outstanding principal at the end of that period. APR is useful, but different assumptions in the illustrations can make the headline comparison misleading.
 
Is 15 years both the fixed period and the full loan term, or does the loan continue after that? Also, are the arrangement fees payable upfront or financed? Those two details could materially change the comparison, especially if one illustration assumes you refinance or sell earlier than the other.
 
I would not choose purely on the lowest projected cash cost. A cheaper-looking loan can be restrictive if early repayment is expensive or portability is narrow. On the other hand, portability only deserves much weight if its conditions are clear and you genuinely expect to move. I would first stress-test whether the monthly payment remains comfortable alongside the other ownership costs.
 
Agreed on affordability, though I would be cautious about assigning much value to portability before seeing exactly how it operates. It may not eliminate the need for a fresh assessment when moving.

Ask both lenders to rerun the figures with the same loan amount, loan-to-value, term and comparison date. Then calculate costs at several possible exit points rather than relying on one refinance assumption. That should expose whether the lower advertised rate is being offset by fees or repayment charges.
 
A simple table should settle most of this: upfront cash, monthly payment, fees financed into the loan, total payments by each chosen exit date, remaining balance, and any early-repayment cost. Keep a separate note for portability conditions and what happens when the fixed period ends. If the lenders will not provide matching assumptions, use the contractual figures you do have and treat uncertain future refinancing savings as zero rather than counting them as guaranteed.
 
Back
Top