APR suggests comparing the mortgages over their stated term, while our likely move date suggests stopping the calculation much earlier. I have a 6.30% quote described as fixed for 20 years on a purchase near Tokyo costing around ¥28,300,000. Once the fees and loan-to-value band are included, it is less attractive than the headline first appeared.
Because we may sell before the fixed period finishes, I’m inclined to compare everything up to a plausible sale date: payments made, upfront and recurring charges, and the balance and fees due on redemption. Is that more meaningful than total interest over 20 years? I’m also checking whether early repayment is penalised, whether portability is genuinely available and what assumptions would need to hold for refinancing to be worthwhile.
Because we may sell before the fixed period finishes, I’m inclined to compare everything up to a plausible sale date: payments made, upfront and recurring charges, and the balance and fees due on redemption. Is that more meaningful than total interest over 20 years? I’m also checking whether early repayment is penalised, whether portability is genuinely available and what assumptions would need to hold for refinancing to be worthwhile.